Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Laundry services in Tokyo 2009/6/23 02:24
Hi, I will be in Tokyo for a couple of weeks. Will like to know if there are laundry shops around Asakusa or Kuramae area? Also, what are the charges like for these laundry services?

Thank you!
by Joe. L. (guest)  

coin laundry 2009/6/23 16:13
Just ask your hotel front desk if there is a near by gcoin laundryh and they will point you in the right direction. They also might have a few machines on site.
by ryokans rate this post as useful

Laundry services 2009/6/23 16:17
Hi, what I am looking for is those shops where they can do your laundry for you?

My hostel does provide coin laundry services, but I am more keen on just sending my laundry to a shop, then pick it up when it is done.

So I am wondering if anyone knows any nearby locations for such shops and also how much they charge usually.

Thanks!
by Joe. L. (guest) rate this post as useful

Not in this country 2009/6/23 16:21
You would need to take it to a drycleaning shop. In other countries (India, Thailand) in Asia there are often laundry services in areas where a lot of tourists stay, but this is not the case in Japan that I know of. You either give the laundry to your hotel cleaning service, wash it yourself at a coin laundry, or have it drycleaned (not cheap).
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Doing laundry in Japan 2009/6/23 16:31
That sounds pretty troublesome, having to bring it for drycleaning, and definitely expensive too.

But just a question, how do you all handle the laundry yourselves, especially for winter clothes such as sweaters and stuff? According to the tags on my winter wear, I ain't suppose to machine wash them, so what do I do?

Thanks again.
by Joe. L. (guest) rate this post as useful

washing 2009/6/23 16:50
If something can't be machine washed, I either handwash it, or have it drycleaned...

clarification 2009/6/23 16:51
I just wanted to check what you meant by "how do you handle all the laundry yourselves"? Just like most people, I put it in the machine, wash it, take it out, hang it up to dry, fold it, put it away- no different to the country I was brought up in. Have you always had someone do your laundry for you until now? Must be nice.

Doing laundry in Japan 2009/6/23 17:12
Hi,

I come from a tropical country, so clothes are all cotton and such, which allows them to be machine washed.

However, I am going to be in Japan in December with all the winter wear, so I am not exactly sure if I am able to wash my woollen tops or such in the same way too.

Nonetheless, thanks for all the answers!
by Joel. L. (guest) rate this post as useful

washing 2009/6/23 17:24
you don' t have to wash your sweaters as often as you wash your shirts! especially when on holiday for only a couple of weeks. You could also wear several thin long sleeves TS and a thin wool top, all washable, on top of one another..
My mom used to make me pure wool sweaters. When I started to live on my own I machine washed them, then stretched them back into shape, still a bit wet, and let them air dry on a flat surface covered by a couple of towels. She was amazed that they didn't shrink much..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread