Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiraizumi and Kakunodate 2009/6/25 17:42
I am wondering if it would be possible to do a day trip from Tokyo to both Hiraizumi and Kakunodate on the same day? We only really want to see Aoyagi House in Kakunodate (most other places are closed as we will be there in December). In Hiraizumi we would like to see Chusonji temple and Takkoku no Iwaya.

We will be staying in an apartment in Tokyo for 2 weeks so would prefer a day trip as we will be paying for accommodation in Tokyo anyway. We are prepared to leave early morning and return to Tokyo at night to make the most of the day, I know it is over 3 hours to Kakunodate.

Do you think this would be possible?

How cold are these places in mid-December?

Another issue is that the loop bus doesn't run in Hiraizumi during winter, but apparently there is another bus that only runs once an hour, any idea of the timetable? Or would it be possible to catch a taxi or be too expensive?

Thank you!
by AusEz  

... 2009/6/25 19:46
I've had a look at train times and they don't seem to match up between Kakunodate and Hiraizumi so it looks like it's either stay the night somewhere or choose one or the other.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/25 19:55
I'm swaying towards Hiraizumi. Any help with the bus and weather questions or any other help would be really appreciated.

Chuson-ji 2009/6/25 21:23
It takes 3.5 - 4 hrs. by JR from Tokyo to Hiraizumi with a train transfer in Ichinoseki. The bus to Chuson-ji leaves from Ichinoseki so you can take the bus directly there without going to Hiraizumi.

Weekdays:
http://www.iwatekenkotsu.co.jp/rosen-jikoku/ichinoseki/...

Sat., Sun. and holidays:

ˆêŠÖ‰w‘O is Ichinoseki JR station.
•½ò‰w‘O is Hiraizumi JR station.
’†‘¸Ž› is Chuson-ji
by William5 rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/25 21:39
Thanks William5 for your help. We will be travelling in December though, am I right in saying that bus doesn't run in December?

Have you been the Aizu? Where would you recommend out of Hiraizumi and Aizu? What about Kakunodate, have you been there? I have noticed that you seem well travelled in the Northern Honshu area!

Tohoku 2009/6/25 22:20

The above schedules haven't indicated the bus stop running in Dec. I think it is only the city loop bus in Hiraizumi that doesn't run in the winter.

I love the Tohoku region and have been there twice, and I intend to go back again. Tohoku is not yet overflooded with foreign tourists and still retains a traditional Japanese rural feel. I'm saving Kakunodate for an autumn foliage trip. I have been to Aizu-Wakamatsu twice. Last time was Feb. this year and I went there for the Aizu Illustrated Candle Festival. Aizu-Wakamatsu is rich in history, esp. if you're interested in samurai.

While in Hiraizumi, Motsu-ji is also worth seeing. Side-trips from Hiraizumi include Gembikei and Geibikei Gorge. The boat ride in Geibikei is fun, but it's not on in winter.

There are lots of interesting places in Tohoku and I can go on and on. I suppose you have read some of my previous posts. I don't know about your itinerary but going on daytrips to Tohoku from Tokyo is not doing the region justice, IMHO. One place I will definitely recommend an overnight stay during winter time is Ginzan Onsen. It's not cheap but you will be rewarded with a lifetime memory.

... 2009/6/25 22:32
I think we will allocate more time to the Tohoku region in a future trip to Japan, perhaps not in winter. But for this trip we can probably only afford a day trip or perhaps overnight depending on how our budget is going. The problem is that I planned this trip way too early and keep finding many more places I want to visit!

I tried to open those links but it says "document not found", I went to the website and clicked on bus then on Ichinoseki but it only has the loop bus that I can find, are you able to post a different link? It would be really useful to have the timetable.

Thanks so much for your help.

OK now 2009/6/26 09:27
Hi AusEz

Can you see the timetables now!? My last post was deleted but the links are OK now. So afterall the problem is not with my computer.
Let me know if you still can't see them.

... 2009/6/26 09:54
Thanks William5, it's working now. Any ideas how to get to Takkoku no Iwaya? Does this bus go there too? Sorry I can't read Japanese so I can tell for myself.

... 2009/6/26 10:03
The Japan-Guide page says there are no buses to Takkoku no Iwaya during winter so perhaps taxi or bike are the only option.

Takkoku no Iwaya 2009/6/26 13:22
The listed bus doesn't go to Takkoku no Iwaya. I haven't been there but a friend had. He drove and said that it is about 10 min drive from Hiraizumi along Rte. 31, the main road right outside Hiraizumi JR station. You can take a taxi or rent a bike. You can get detail direction from Hiraizumi tourist information centre which is located on a separate bldg. on the right of JR station exit. Basic English is spoken.

http://www15.ocn.ne.jp/~iwaya/map.html

reply to this thread