Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary opinions/suggestions. 2009/6/26 03:21
Hello Everyone,

Here is my itinerary:

August 13: Arrive in Tokyo

August 14: Tokyo

August 15: Tokyo

August 16: Arrive in Kyoto

August 17: Kyoto

August 18: Kyoto

August 19: Arrive in Osaka

August 20: Not sure if another day in Osaka or Mt Koyasan

August 21 Arrive back in Tokyo

August 22 Tokyo/Fly home.

My main question is that I am a single traveler and was wondering if anyone has any experience of staying at an overnight temple in Mt. Koya alone? I have tried looking at a few websites and havenft been able to locate any prices for single travelers as well as room types. Also, is 1 day enough to visit Osaka? I would really love to visit Mt Koya, but if its too expensive, anything above $80/night, I would probably just spend another day in Osaka or would 2 days be too much?
by joker1978  

Koya san 2009/6/26 17:53
www.japanican.com can show you some temple lodging for a single traveler. Enter Wakayama as location.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

koyasan 2009/6/27 07:34
I recently stayed in Shojoshin-in at Koyasan alone. I booked through Japaneseguesthouses.com. It wasn't cheap (about $110 USD), but it was definitely a great experience.

I found a cheapter alternative with the Koyasan Youth Hostel, which is somewhwere around $40 USD/night. Haven't seen the place, but may be what you're looking for.

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~koyasan/indexe.html

I'd think you should go to Koysan if you can--it's a nice town with lots of interesting temples (though Kyoto's are grander) and the cemetary is a very unique experience, especially in the mornings and at night. You can spend a good afternoon just winding up and down the alleys between the grave stones and massive trees.

As for Osaka, I did most of the 'major' sightseeing in 1 day. The castle has nice grounds, but it's a reconstruction with an empty interior, Umeda Sky building is nice to look at, but I'm not a huge fan of the Osaka skyline, and Dontonbori and the shopping arcades can be done from morning till night (especially Dotonbori, which totally neon).

So in general, if you're in the mood for temples and woods, go for Koyasan, if you're looking for eating and partying, go for some more time in Osaka. Personally, I wouldn't trade my night in Koyasan for another day in Osaka.
by mike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread