Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A nice ryokan/onsen in Hokkaido 2009/6/26 21:14
Going to Hokkaido for the first time next month, could someone recommend a ryokan with good authentic Japanese food and a scenic rotenburo. We plan on driving. Our budget is no more than 20,000 yen per person which I know is not a lot. Or just a scenic rotenburo for day use would also be appreciated. Our plan is to start driving from Chitose airport to Norboribetsu, then back up to Furano and Asahikawa, Daisetsusan and Sounkyo, for a total of 5 days.
What's the fastest route from Furano (last stop) back to Chitose airport and approx how long should I plan for driving on a weekday ?
How much is the expressway toll from Norboribetsu to Ranru exit ?? (in between Asahikawa-kita and Wassamu) and approx how long from Norboribetsu to Sounkyo onsen ?
by Leny (guest)  

... 2009/6/28 14:01
Our budget is no more than 20,000 yen per person which I know is not a lot.

Per night for accommodation? If not, what exactly does the budget refer to?

What's the fastest route from Furano (last stop) back to Chitose airport and approx how long should I plan for driving on a weekday ?

First to Takikawa and then by expressway to Chitose. I would calculate about three hours for the entire trip from Furano to the airport.

How much is the expressway toll from Norboribetsu to Ranru exit ?

The toll from Noboribetsu-Higashi to Pippu Junction is 6500 yen for a standard car or 5250 yen for a kei-class car. Beyond Pippu, the road is toll free.

approx how long from Norboribetsu to Sounkyo onsen?

I estimate 3 to 3.5 hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/29 09:41
1. Yes 20,000 yen per person per night.
2. Understood re Takikawa. Is there anything worth seeing if instead we drove south on route 237 and then turn right at Hidaka pass for Chitose airport ?
3. If we have only 1 night to spend in Noboribetsu and Lake Toya, would you recommend staying the night in lake Toya as I read another poster recommending this (we are looking for a ryokan with good Japanese food and a nice rotenburo) ? It's difficult to decide as we've not been to either place. Is lake Toya over-rated, I know this is personal but what do you think ?
by Leny (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/29 10:51
Yes 20,000 yen per person per night.

That gives you a lot of options. But I have no specific recommendations. Except maybe Noboribetsu's Takimotokan is huge but has some of the best indoor baths in Japan:
http://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/index.html

Understood re Takikawa. Is there anything worth seeing if instead we drove south on route 237 and then turn right at Hidaka pass for Chitose airport ?

There is not much to see, except maybe the famous melons of Yubari.

If we have only 1 night to spend in Noboribetsu and Lake Toya, would you recommend staying the night in lake Toya as I read another poster recommending this (we are looking for a ryokan with good Japanese food and a nice rotenburo) ? It's difficult to decide as we've not been to either place. Is lake Toya over-rated, I know this is personal but what do you think ?

If a hot spring experience is most important to you, I recommend Noboribetsu over Lake Toya. If you are after mountain scenery and daily fire work shows, Lake Toya might be the better choice.

japan-guide.com users rate Noboribetsu considerably better than Lake Toya.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Anyone been to Windsor hotel lake Toya 2009/6/29 16:32
We'll follow your suggestion and stay the night in Noboribetsu and drive to Toyako for a day trip. If we have lunch at the Windsor Hotel in lake Toya, would the view of the lake from there be similar to that from the top of the Usuzan ropeway so we don't need to do both as our time is limited ?

Anyone other suggestions ? 2009/6/29 18:29
Thank you Uji. I visited Takimotokan's website, the onsens look great and should be good for day visit but not sure about the food as it also offers buffet style so I thought the food maybe bit touristy. We would like to experience good seafood which is what Hokkaido is famous for and our budget is upto 20,000yen per person per night which I know is not the highest so that's why I would like advice from anyone who's had great food at any other hotels/ ryokans in Noboribetsu which fits our budget ?

Onsen hotels in Toyako and Noboribetsu 2009/6/29 21:40
Hi Leny,
http://www.toyasunpalace.co.jp/ TOYAKO

http://www.h-mahoroba.jp/ NOBORIBETSU

http://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/index.html NOBORIBETSU

We stayed one night each at the above hotels last month, all with buffet package. They are all very special.

Will rate Mahoroba for best food , Toya Sunpalace for excellent value and unbeatable scenery of lake Toya and the firework display. And as for Dai-ichi Takimotokan, to be honest, a bit of disappointment.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks to Liem 2009/6/30 02:36
Thanks Liem, always helpful to have 1st hand experience such as avoiding Daiichi Takimotokan. Thanks.
I have visited the sites you gave. Toya Sunpalace does look good value. Thanks for the heads-up about the food, I guess for that price you shouldn't expect too much. Maybe we'll opt for dinner in room as the pictures seem to show better food. Did you find this hotel clean and comfy ? Any problems ?
For both Sunpalace and Mahoroba, were you given a Japanese room for their cheapest rate, we would prefer a Western twin room but not sure if that would qualify for the cheapest rates ?
At Mahoroba, were there 31 onsens or did they include the private family baths for hire and were the onsens nice ?
Were both the above hotels crowded ?
Appreciate your help.

reply to this thread