Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Help - May to June 2010 2009/6/30 04:35
Hi there,

My husband and I are planning a 3 week trip to Japan from mid-May through early June of next year and this is what I've ''theorized'' so far :-):

- May 19: air travel

- May 20: arrive for 3 nights, 4 days Tokyo (May 20-23, 2010) with annual All-Japan Aikido demonstration at Nippon Budokan on the 22nd

- May 23, 2010: leave non-camping related luggage with hotel and take overnight passenger boat from Takeshiba Pier to Shikinejima Island (stock up on supplies/cash in the days before leaving)

- 3 nights camping at Shikinejima island, (May 24-26)

- May 27: passenger boat travel back to Takeshiba Pier, 1 night Tokyo (return to same hotel as before, re-organize baggage and leave camping-related luggage with hotel)

- May 28: 3 hours train travel, 1 night Tsumago

- May 29: use baggage forwarding service and hike 2-3 hours along Tsumago-Magome trail; 1 night Magome

- May 30: train travel, possible stop over in Iga Ueno? Arrive Kyoto for 5 nights, 4 days visiting Kyoto & Nara (May 30 - June 3)

- June 4: train travel to Kanazawa; 4 nights, 3 days stay in Kanazawa (June 4-7) during the Hyakumangoku Matsuri

- June 8: 3+ hours train travel to Takagarawa Onsen*, stay 2 nights (June 8-9)

- June 10: approx 4+ hours train travel back to Tokyo,
1 night stay Tokyo at former hotel (pick up luggage left on the 27th)

- June 11: return flight home

A general question:
- are there any logistical considerations (especially regarding train travel) that I have left out?

Specific questions:
- we are looking to purchase the 21-day JR passes, but is this truly the most economical solution in the above case?
- how much total travel time can one expect from Magome to Kyoto and is it feasible to do a stop off in Iga Ueno (what stations/transfers are involved and what would be the best route) to do some sightseeing in this area for say, half a day, before continuing on to Kyoto?
- how much travel time can one expect between Kyoto and Kanazawa and what would be the best route?
- *Takagarawa Onsen is not necessarily ''set in stone'' for us: any recommendations as to a picturesque ryokan with onsen to spend our last couple of days in Japan would be great; ideally it would be somewhere between Kanazawa and Tokyo with straightforward access via public transportation. I will post this as a separate inquiry on the forum as well.

Thanks so much in advance to everyone for their time and consideration!

Jamie
by jdhay  

... 2009/6/30 13:19
May 29: use baggage forwarding service and hike 2-3 hours along Tsumago-Magome trail

I believe that the luggage forwarding service is not provided on weekdays during late May. Only on weekends.

May 30: train travel, possible stop over in Iga Ueno?

It is possible, but quite a time-consuming detour, especially if you try to do it without Kintetsu limited express trains.

we are looking to purchase the 21-day JR passes, but is this truly the most economical solution in the above case?

No, regular tickets come cheaper. A 14-day pass from May 28 to June 10 might be worth considering.

how much total travel time can one expect from Magome to Kyoto and is it feasible to do a stop off in Iga Ueno (what stations/transfers are involved and what would be the best route) to do some sightseeing in this area for say, half a day, before continuing on to Kyoto?

By shinkansen via Nagoya, it takes about 2.5 hours from Magome to Kyoto.

From Magome to Iga-Ueno alone, it would take over 3 hours by Kintetsu limited express trains. Plus an additional two hour from Ueno to Kyoto. It is possible but time consuming. The fastest approach is to take the bus from Magome to Nakatsugawa, the JR Chuo Line from Nakatsugawa to Nagoya, the Kintetsu limited express to Iga-Kanbe and then the Iga Railway to Ueno:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4353.html?aFROM=2155_4350

how much travel time can one expect between Kyoto and Kanazawa and what would be the best route?

Here you go:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4208.html?aFROM=2158_2167

*Takagarawa Onsen is not necessarily ''set in stone'' for us: any recommendations as to a picturesque ryokan with onsen to spend our last couple of days in Japan would be great

The ryokan at Takaragawa Onsen is slightly tacky with a somewhat strange feel to it. They have some bears in small cages, and a lot of junky stuff piled up in some of the buildings. But the baths are huge and picturesque.

ideally it would be somewhere between Kanazawa and Tokyo with straightforward access via public transportation.

My favorite onsen ryokan so far is the Iwanoyu in Seni Onsen, less than an hour outside of Nagano City. It is just as easy/difficult to access as Takaragawa Onsen, but the ryokan is much more pleasant. The baths are not as big, but there is a cave bath. Reservations should be made at least half a year in advance. A year in case of weekends:
http://www.hikyou.jp/nagano/seni/seni.htm
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank-you! 2009/6/30 13:34
Thanks very much for all the helpful info, Uji!

Just to clarify, May 29th next year falls on a Saturday so the baggage forwarding service should be okay I believe - otherwise thanks anyway for the reminder!
by jdhay rate this post as useful

... 2009/6/30 14:44
Sorry, I checked on the 2009 calendar.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread