Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tanbara ski park, Gunma 2009/7/7 17:34
Could anyone recommend accomodation near above ski park as I know it is heavily used by day trippers but we don't live in Japan so would like to ski more than a day there. Our budget is around 15000 yen per person per night incl dinner or around 15000 yen for a western room only. Could only find some pensions in a Tanbara site but don't think they speak English. Was hoping for a ryokan with nice onsen in the area as we'll be driving.
Also one poster mentioned may need chains, has anyone driven to Tanbara ski park in February ? Would snow tyres be enough ?
by Ykk (guest)  

Tanbara 2009/7/7 18:29
I've been to Tanbara a few times and it while it is a decent ski resort, it would not be my choice for a 3 day stay. Are you limited to Gunma for some reason? I'd rather head to Yuzawa in Niigata or Shiga Kogen in Nagano. Shiga Kogen is huge with lots of hotels and pensions. It's also near the snow monkeys at Yudanaka.

Also one poster mentioned may need chains, has anyone driven to Tanbara ski park in February ? Would snow tyres be enough ?

Snow Tires are adequate.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

yllwsmrf 2009/7/7 19:44
Actually we have skied at Yuzawa but we're not so young and only ski once a year so looking for really gentle slopes like Tanbara so we won't break anything. Agree if we were younger (or if my wife weren't with me, just kidding) then would be different--so many great resorts in Japan but alas c'est la vie... My wife didn't like Shiga (nowhere to go apres ski) and if we only ski 2 days (not 3), it's hardly worth the drive. So would appreciate any help with accomodation at Tanbara ?
by Ykk (guest) rate this post as useful

accommodation 2009/7/8 11:03
Sorry, didn't realize you'd been to all of them already.

I was unable to find anything about accommodation at the resort, but it Tanbara is in Numata city so you could look for hotels in that area. I found this on trip advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1021171-d10766...

but there really isn't any english info for the area.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

yllwsmrf 2009/7/9 11:19
Thanks, Ginshotei Awashima seems nice and looks as if the only accommodation choice we have near Tanbara ski park.
by Ykk (guest) rate this post as useful

Naeba 2009/7/9 11:41
If you go to Naeba(in the Yuzawa area), all of the ski slopes near the Prince Hotel are very gentle.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread