Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Snow in Yunessun? Yunessun vs Fujiten? 2009/7/8 00:29
I plan to bring my 2 kids (7yrs & 4yrs) together with my wife and another adult to YUNESSUN around Mid/Late December. Does it snow in Yunessun area? My wife and kids have never experienced snow and just want to enjoy and play. I was hoping I don't hv to go to Fujiten. Pls advise if I hv to go to Fujiten for snow? What is the travel time between Yunessun to Fujiten and how do I get there? Is there a place WITH SNOW closer to Yunessun. Kindly suggest a reasonably priced but nice accomodation for Yunessun and Fujiten area. I will be coming from Tokyo and since I'll be travelling with kids,i want to minimize travel time whenever possible.
by mr.jerry (guest)  

... 2009/7/8 11:49
Does it snow in Yunessun area?

It is not unusual for Hakone to receive some snow, however, usually it is not a lot of snow. And usually it is in January and February. The chance of snow around Yunessun in mid December is rather low.

Pls advise if I hv to go to Fujiten for snow?

It depends on the weather situation. Note also that there might be snow in higher elevations of Hakone, e.g. around the top station of the Komagatake Ropeway.

Note also that often the snow at Fujiten is man made.

More information about snow:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2265.html

What is the travel time between Yunessun to Fujiten and how do I get there?

It takes about 2.5 hour by bus and taxi via Hakone-Sengoku, Gotemba Station and Kawaguchi Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

follow up questions 2009/7/8 23:18
Dear Uji,

Thank you for your informative reply. Didn't know it would take 2.5hrs from Yunessun to Fujiten. I've been trying to get idea on where Yunessun AND Fujiten are located in relation to Tokyo, but can't find any maps. Any suggestions? If in case there is NO SNOW up in the ropeway, pls suggest an alternative solution.

From Yunessun, is it better to
a) go back to Tokyo-sleep-then travel to Gala Yuzawa--back to Tokyo?
b) go back to Tokyo-sleep-then travel to Fujiten-then back to Tokyo? or
c) from Yunessun-sleep-then travel to Fujiten-then back to Tokyo

I just want to make sure I'm not going around in circles.

Keep in mind we just want to play with kids for 3-4 hrs in the snow. The train trip to Yuzawa seems expensive for 5 people @ around 6000 yen per person ONEWAY. Please suggest a more reasonable option.

By the way, I accidentally clicked the 'turn off auto-notification' button. Can you turn it back on?

Thanks,
Mr.Jerry
by Mr. Jerry (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/11 19:14
I've been trying to get idea on where Yunessun AND Fujiten are located in relation to Tokyo, but can't find any maps. Any suggestions?

Here you go:
http://labs.mapion.co.jp/chizugaki/#/prev/57829/

If in case there is NO SNOW up in the ropeway, pls suggest an alternative solution.

Here you go:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2265.html

From Yunessun, is it better to
a) go back to Tokyo-sleep-then travel to Gala Yuzawa--back to Tokyo?
b) go back to Tokyo-sleep-then travel to Fujiten-then back to Tokyo? or
c) from Yunessun-sleep-then travel to Fujiten-then back to Tokyo

c) sounds like the best to me.

Fujiten and Karuizawa Cottages 2009/7/12 11:15
Dear Uji,

Thank you very much for the useful information. I couldn't have done it without you. As an alternative to fujiten, I am also considering Prince Hotel Karuizawa Cottages. From the internet, it's only about 80minutes and seems to have snow..so i can have the charm and pleasure of cottage living in a snow environment without having to pay for ski lifts. What do you think? Heard there's even outdoor onsen nearby, have you heard about it.

tx,
Jerry
by Mr.Jerry (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/12 12:44
Yes, Karuizawa is another of the relatively easy places with snow to reach from Tokyo. Again, note that the snow might be man made, though.

many thanks 2009/7/12 22:07
Many thanks once again for the valuable information. REALLY appreciate it :-)
by Mr.Jerry (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread