Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Health precautions for Yaeyaman Islands 2009/7/8 22:21
Hi,

I have read on the 'Fit for Travel' website that the Japanese B Encephalitis vaccine is sometimes advised for travel to rural areas of Japan. During my trip to Japan I am flying internally to Ishigaki in Okinawa for 3 nights. I plan to visit Taketomi island, and possible Iriomote.

I think there is pig farming on the islands of Okinawa, so should I get the vaccine for my 3-night trip?

Thanks,
Sarah
by SarahJ3 (guest)  

. 2009/7/9 14:57
I live in Okinawa and have not had the vaccine. I've never known anyone nor read about anyone getting Japanese encephalitis, so I don't think its terribly common.

I've travelled to the places you listed and I dont recall seeing pig farms or having contact with pigs. Least not in the tourist areas.

I wouldn't bother with the expense and pain of the vaccine unless you're planning a farm stay or something similar. Take precutions against mosquito bites regardless.
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

Not necessary for tourists 2009/7/9 15:29
The vaccine is not recommended unless you expect to be working on a farm for months at a time. You most definitely do not need it for a 3 day tourist visit.

I spent 5 days on Ishigaki and Taketomi in May this year and I can't even say that I saw a (live) pig.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread