Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

trains and travel during new year's 2009/7/10 05:12
Hello all,

My boyfriend and I just booked a 10-day trip to Toyko from December 31 - January 9. We understand that New Year's is a busy travel time and that many things are closed. We want to start booking hotels in Kyoto and Nara, in addition to Tokyo, but we are afraid that the trains will be impossible to catch around New Year's and that we might not be able to reach our other destinations.

I have read everywhere that train seats can only be reserved in person at the station. Does anyone know of a way to obtain seats in the US or through a concierge service? Also, if we cannot book seats in advance, will the Narita JR reservation station have normal hours on New Year's Eve? We're flexible as far as times go, but want to travel on certain days (due to hotel reservations). Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, what's the ATM/foreign bank card situation like around New Year's these days?

Thanks so much!!!
by alison (guest)  

... 2009/7/11 21:22
but we are afraid that the trains will be impossible to catch around New Year's and that we might not be able to reach our other destinations.

On certain days and along certain route, it might be difficult to make seat reservations, but it almost never impossible to reach your destination. Even without a seat reservation, you can hop on most trains, there is just a danger than you might have to stand.

I have read everywhere that train seats can only be reserved in person at the station. Does anyone know of a way to obtain seats in the US or through a concierge service?

See here:
http://www.jet-lag.org/

Also, if we cannot book seats in advance, will the Narita JR reservation station have normal hours on New Year's Eve?

Yes.

Also, what's the ATM/foreign bank card situation like around New Year's these days?

Quite a few ATMs might not be working on January 1st, and possibly on the 2nd and 3rd. But I believe that the ATMs at Narita Airport and 7-11 convenience stores should be working.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread