Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Authentic Japanese Food in Chicago 2009/7/14 19:58
I've visited Japan numerous times in the past 2 years while in college. Now I'm just looking for some authentic Japanese food in my home town of Chicago after i graduate. I speak Japanese so if it is easier than English you can converse with me in Japanese if its easier.
by rmd82 (guest)  

Not really 2009/7/16 17:03
I haven't lived in Chicago for 4 years, but last I was there, there were no authentic restaurants. Mostly just fancy sushi joints. There used to be a place about 7 years ago on Chicago Ave called Yanase, but sadly it closed. Good luck.
by BaVee (guest) rate this post as useful

Arlington Heights / Mitsuwa 2009/7/16 18:02
You may want to visit Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights. They have small cafe/restaurants there and I think they're OK. The last time I was there was 2002 though...
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

Chicago -Great Japanese restaurant 2009/7/16 19:01
Chiyo at 3800 W. Lawrence Ave. We ate there a few days ago. Fantastic! Authentic,delicious.Shabu Shabu with Kobe beef was dynamite. The sushi was fresh- the white tuna was amazing. Service great, not much English made for a fun experience! Check it out.
by wolfattack rate this post as useful

Re: 2009/7/17 00:33
Mitsuwa Marketplace, Chicago store
 http://www.mitsuwa.com/tenpo/cica/eindex.html
by xexstyle (guest) rate this post as useful

One option 2009/7/20 12:53
A few years ago in a comment stream similar to this one, a restaurant was recommended, Sakura in Mount Prospect. I did go there once and it was pleasant...not spectacular and not hokey, but fairly authentic so far as I could tell. (Decades ago when I lived in Japan I didn't have any money and didn't eat out a lot, so perhaps my basis for comparison is somewhat thin.) The owner and servers were definitely very nice. Google for details.
by watagei rate this post as useful

There's a few 2009/7/21 02:14
Two places I recommend highly:

Renga-tei in Lincolnwood on Touhy Ave. This restaurant it owned by a Japanese owner and is known for its reasonable, yet very delicious foods. If you go on a weekend, make sure you make a reservation ahead of time, as it gets very busy. The menu is pretty extensive and has a lot of home-cooking type foods. Try their beef teriyaki and Renga-tei steak (Japanese style steak).

Kurumaya in Elk Grove Village on Higgins. Just down the street from Tensuke Market, a smaller Japanese grocery store, which is just down the street from Mitsuwa. This place is amazing! They are an izakaya-style place where they serve up small dishes of delicious foods. They have traditional Japanese foods, but much of their menu is Japanese "bar foods". Oh this place is awesome...
by bobaab rate this post as useful

reply to this thread