Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

What to wear in aug? 2009/7/18 16:36
I'm planning for my trip in aug. I'm a middle aged woman of 35 who still wears mini shorts and skirts. Is it inappropriate for a middle aged woman to wear minis in Japan? How about camis,tube tops,halter tops,tank tops? Also I'm planning to go hiking for 4h. This will be my first time hiking, I wonder if it's too much as I am no longer young. What should I wear when hiking? Are crocs comfortable for hiking? Would love suggestions on what to wear, thank you.
by anne marie (guest)  

35 isn't middle aged... 2009/7/18 20:33
For hiking you should wear comfortable, broken-in sneakers or hiking shoes. Crocs are useless as your feet slide around in them and they do not support your feet when walking on uneven ground- don't hike in Crocs.

I'm surprised you consider yourself middle-aged and perhaps too old to hike at 35- I'm 34 and am fitter than I was in my 20s! My mother walked the Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu when she was 50 and she had done very little hiking before. Don't start thinking you are past it at 35, or it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Short-shorts aren't common in Japan, and neither are tube tops, especially on anyone over about 21. Showing cleavage is rare and pretty much guaranteed to bring you stares if you do. Going bra-less is also frowned on.

Longer shorts are fine, as are camisoles, but keep in mind that trains and buildings can be strongly air-conditioned, so you can freeze every time you go indoors if you don't bring a light top to put on- I carry a thin cardigan with me pretty much everywhere in summer.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Great advice Sira 2009/7/18 22:16
I really appreciate the time u took to give me a very detailed response. Wasn't expecting the heavy AC, great to know, now we will bring light cardigans.

I def don't think i'm too old to hike, i m just afraid after hiking 4h, the next day i might catch a cold as i am not used to hiking (this will be my first time). My 13 n 14yr old daughters are the ones who want to hike or else i wouldn't even consider it.

From what i know, 35 is considered the 1st year of middle age. Is it not so in Japan? that is a good thing then:) maybe because Japanese women are the longest living.
My husband who is only 34 feels that he is middle aged too as our children are already teens. For some reason when our kids grow up, we feel aging quickly.
by anne marie (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/18 23:31
If you still look good wear what you want. It's hot and humid at that time remember.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

hiking=walking 2009/7/19 00:37
anne marie, hiking is just walking, with possibly some hills involved- have you never spent 4 hours on your feet before? I'm sure you will be fine.

The only thing is, August is a horribly hot and humid time to be hiking, so don't overdo it. If there are a lot of hills involved, you might want to reconsider. This applies at any age. Catching a cold is pretty unlikely at this time of year unless you get really chilled in the airconditioning- do you often catch a cold after doing light exercise?

I don't think 35 is considered to be middle-aged in Japan, and it isn't in my home country either- 40+ perhaps, as most people live to be older than 70 these days, 35 isn't even halfway through your life.

Maybe having teenage kids makes you feel older? I don't know- I thought kids were supposed to keep you young!

Anyway, enjoy your trip and drink plenty of fluids- unless it is Hokkaido you are heading for it will be very hot (already is!)

I can do it 2009/7/19 02:18
Yes, I have been on my feet for over 4h even though it's been a while. I'm not worried about hot, humid weather as i m from the Philippines, we experience it year round. I know i can do it:)

The life expectancy in my country is around 70 (67 for men, 73 for women). So no wonder 35 is considered middle age in the Philippines. But i can see 35-39 is the grey area worldwide.

Age is a state of mind 2009/7/19 04:03
35 is not even the beginning of middle age! one is still young at that age! quite a few athletes are in great shape and win records well pass 35. right now, at 37 Lance Amstrong keep up with guys 10 year younger.
I work in health care and we have residents who are 90 and in better shape that others that are 65.
One of my grandma lived to 101 and the day she passed away in her sleep she, as she did everyday, washed her bedroom tiled floor, went for a walk around the village twice, helped cook etc. She still could climb from a chair to a table to dust the top of the cupboards and read without glasses! her own mom lived to 100 and was helping her daughters cook right to the end too.
a few older people in my European country ride bikes at 95..
matter is genes, balanced food and daily exercise (not necessarily in a gym. Can be lots of walk or biking, physical work around the home and yard etc.). It also helps to be interested in everything...I have a neighbour who got to be in her 90s. She has long blonde hair, short skirts, is always nicely made up and walk all over the place in high heels.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/7/19 09:49
As for hiking, I think it depends on the trail. There are easier ones and harder ones. Either way, hikers are advised to cover their skin in order to avoid insect bites, UV and scratches that can be made by nature. Perhaps wearing a light pair of pants/jeans and carrying something to put over your top would be fine.

As for vulnerable clothes, they are normal when walking around in your neighborhood or near beaches, but not really trendy when riding trains. The only women I see wearing those things in her mid 30s and over are foreign tourist, and indeed you are one!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Instead of wearing pants/jeans... 2009/7/19 22:32
I'm planning to apply disinfectant all over my body. After i do so, is it still necessary to wear jeans/pants? i don't like wearing pants, esp jeans.

Disinfectant 2009/7/19 23:16
Disinfectant can't protect you from scratches and harsh weather. But again, if it's an easy trail on a not-so-high mountain, I do see a lot of people wearing shorts. Just know your risks.

not disinfectant... 2009/7/20 08:26
Disinfectant? Do you mean insect repellant? Why would you apply disinfectant, that's not necessary at all.

I recommend putting insect repellant on your legs and arms (not over your whole body, it's a strong chemical). Wear shorts if you must- in this case I think it's ok since the trails are wide.

Me 2 2009/7/20 21:57
Glad that u raised this topic.

This will be my 1st time 2! I am in a similar situation: My mum wants me to accompany her hiking. She is going on 48, but looks and feels much younger. I am amazed that after 6h of hiking, she still has a lot of energy! I doubt I can hike for 6h. 4h is still reasonable.

I have no idea why but my mum likes wearing pricey flat leather shoes when travelling. Like u, I think we could wear crocs everywhere!

Is there anything a 24 yr old shouldn't wear? How about a 48 yr old? r jeans and babydoll tops still appropriate for 48?

by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

It's all about the heat 2009/7/21 07:20
It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of heat and humidity. You can't survive in Japan during August, if you don't bring comfortable and loose clothes. Mini skirts and shorts are just fine, many women wear these types of clothes in Japan and i don't think it is considered inappropriate in any big city. Moreover, don't forget to buy a traditional fan, bring handkerchief and drink as much water as you can. It's really hot in there...

(and no, 35 is not middle-aged...)
by antonios (guest) rate this post as useful

Take salt when drinking water 2009/7/21 08:33
It's actually a myth to drink "as much water as" you can.

If you take in too much water when you're sweating hard, the percentage of the salt in your body can become critically low. I recall seeing a news report about a doctor's son dying from drinking too much water while golfing.

When you're sweating, it's best to drink "sports drink"s like Pocari Sweat or Gatorade. That will provide you the necessary salt and minerals along with the water.

Toilets 2009/7/27 12:41
I am not planning to drink so much as there may be a lack of toilets?
by Annie (guest) rate this post as useful

health is more important than the potty 2009/7/27 15:22
Annie,

Saving drinks while exercising (such as hiking) just because of the lack of toilets isn't really a good idea. If you sweat, try to drink something. It will evaporate with your sweat anyway. If you don't sweat, you don't really have to drink so much. That's all there is to it.

"If you got it, flaunt it" 2009/7/28 21:09
In response to the OP, i think u should wear what makes u feel best! I'm only 13 and i have the right to wear whatever i like, so a 35 definitely has every right to wear whatever she likes.

Wherever i go, i wanna look good and blend into my surroundings. I am gonna wear my green rainforest halter dress and the matching flip flops so i can match the trees and nature when hiking. If we get tired before time, oh well, but we always have the choice to climb down right?
by girlygurl (guest) rate this post as useful

What about the evening 2009/7/28 23:02
So, it seems everyone agrees that it's hot in Japan during August, but is it like that only in the mornings or in the evenings as well? I'll be going there in August and I don't know what clothes to take with me. Should I only take summer clothes or maybe a few light jackets too?
by Kiken (guest) rate this post as useful

clothes 2009/7/29 08:21
The overnight low at this time of the year is around 23- 28 degrees and very humid. Day time highs can be over 35 degrees. The airconditioning in trains and buildings can be strong though, so one light jacket or top is worth bringing- won't you need something warm for the plane anyway?

girlygurl, If you want to develop blisters, scratches and insect bites while hiking, by all means wear whatever shoes you like, but don't expect your feet to look/feel very nice afterwards.

Thanks 2009/8/2 01:01
OK, thanks.
by Kiken (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread