Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita airport to 5th station 2009/7/21 15:45
we are arriving in japan at 4:30pm. we are planning on heading straight from narita to mt fuji to climb it. we will have a 7 day JR pass and do not know any japanese as well.

we need to get to the 5th station in the evening and be picked up anytime the next day after we descend.

what is the easiest, least complicated way to get to mt fuji?

we are also planning on having are bags with us so we need to stash them somewhere. If we go to kawaguchiko station we will store them there.

Is there a place to store them at 5th station??

do we need to make reservations for any of the trains or the shuttle at the kawaguchi station to the 5th station??

thanks for the help!
by chowdig  

... 2009/7/21 15:57
what is the easiest, least complicated way to get to mt fuji?

I assume you travel during the official climbing season (July and August).

Take the Narita Express from the airport to Shinjuku Station, and then the direct Fujikyu/Keio bus from Shinjuku to the 5th Station

Seat reservations are required on the direct bus to the 5th Station. If the bus is booked out, you can take a buses with a transfer at Kawaguchiko Station. The last direct bus departs at 19:30. The last connection with a transfer at Kawaguchiko Station at 20:10.

I recommend to store your luggage in a coin locker at Shinjuku Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

trains? 2009/7/22 04:03
we will be climbing august 3rd.

After mt fuji we will be traveling to kyoto, so it would be great to not have to travel back to shinjuku and then to kyoto. we will if we have to though.

what is the easiest train rides from narita airport?

if we take trains and get to kawaguchiko station and take a shuttle, do the shuttles need reservations or you just get on??
by chowdig rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/22 09:21
After mt fuji we will be traveling to kyoto, so it would be great to not have to travel back to shinjuku and then to kyoto. we will if we have to though.

Then, I recommend to send your big luggage from Narita Airport directly to your hotel in Kyoto by a delivery service:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Then, take train and bus to Kawaguchiko 5th Station as explained above, climb to the summit and then descend via the Fujinomiya trail, take a bus from there to Shin-Fuji Station and catch the shinkansen to Kyoto from there.

what is the easiest train rides from narita airport?

I explained it above.

if we take trains and get to kawaguchiko station and take a shuttle, do the shuttles need reservations or you just get on?

The direct buses between Shinjuku and the 5th Station and the buses between Shinjuku and Kawaguchiko Station require reservations, but reservations are not possible on the buses between Kawaguchiko Station and the 5th Station.

thanks 2009/7/22 11:47
thanks uji. you've been tons of help

uji? 2009/7/23 12:41
uji, you said "The last connection with a transfer at Kawaguchiko Station at 20:10." Does that mean that there are busses that leave shinjuku station after 19:30?

the closest time to catch the narita express will get us to shinjuku at 19:43 which is too late to catch the straight buss to the 5th station.

... 2009/7/23 14:06
uji, you said "The last connection with a transfer at Kawaguchiko Station at 20:10." Does that mean that there are busses that leave shinjuku station after 19:30?

Yes, 19:30 is the last bus that travels directly to the 5th Station. At 20:10 departs the last bus for Kawaguchiko Station, where you can transfer to a different bus to the 5th Station. So, 20:10 is the last bus departure.

last bus at 20:10 2009/7/23 14:22
"At 20:10 departs the last bus for Kawaguchiko Station"

which bus is this? do i need reservations?

Just passing by 2009/7/24 22:19
I've been concerned. Is it common to come from abroad with luggage and go straight up a mountain at night? Due to the strange weather, mountain climbers in Japan, including a person who climbed Fuji, have been dying lately. I thought mountain climbing is to be done after you have taken a good rest. I hope the OP is a skilled and experienced climber.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

rested 2009/7/25 02:40
we will be well rested from the long plane right and bus ride and will be stashing our bags at the train station. so were good :). we are well aware of altitude sickness and will be very carefull of it.

Keep Warm 2009/7/25 09:33
Chowdig,

Please keep in mind that, as far as we know at this point, most of the climbers who died were experienced but were dressed light. Recently, there have been sudden harsh wind and rain, and mountains can get very cold in that situation. Be sure you carry enough things to wear, and listen to all the warnings that may be delivered to you on the way. Hope you enjoy it.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/28 03:11
thanks!

cab 2009/7/28 03:13
is it possible to get from kawaguchiko station to 5th station with a cab at 10pm at night? is there any gates or tolls that could stop us from getting to 5th station?

... 2009/7/28 08:38
It should be possible, but obviously very expensive. The gates are open 24 hours during July and August.

cab 2009/7/28 13:24
i was told about 8000 yen. sound right?

... 2009/7/28 14:39
That sounds approximately right.

reply to this thread