Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izu Shimoda - Irozaki Sightseeing Boat 2009/7/26 02:51
Hi! I read on this site that there are only 3 boats per day. I will arrive at Shimoda at 10 a.m. (Sunday, Sep. 20th) and would like to take the sightseeing boat to Irozaki right after. But I couldn't find any information. Does anybody know at which time the boats depart? Is there a website?

It's a daytrip from Tokyo, therefore I'd like to plan ahead as I have limited time there.

From Irozaki I want to return to Shimoda by bus and spend the remaining evening there. Buses run quite frequently, so this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any help is appreciated :)
by Georg (guest)  

... 2009/7/26 16:26
I looked up the boats, but I cannot find any information on the Shimoda-Irozaki route anymore. It might be that the route has been discontinued.

There are, however, still sightseeing cruises that make a round course around Irozaki. It lasts 25 minutes, costs 1200 yen and departs every 30 minutes. The website in Japanese:
http://www.izu-kamori.jp/izu-cruise/route/index.html

As for the bus between Shimoda and Irozaki, there is about one connection per hour and the one way trip takes about 40 minutes. Bus website in Japanese:
http://www.tokaibus.jp/

By the way, September 20 is inside one of the year's most busy holiday seasons (September 19-23), so you should expect the Izu Peninsula to be rather busy.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/7/26 20:37
Thanks a lot for this information Uji! The internet sites are very useful!

I didn't know about the holidays! I wanted to go on Sunday, because it said the sightseeing boat runs from Saturday to Monday only. But now this doesn't matter anymore, because the Irozaki sightseeing boat runs every day :)

Do you think if I go on FR, September 18th, I can avoid the crowds?

Again, thanks a lot for your help! :)

by Georg (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/26 21:27
Yes, Friday should be considerably less crowded.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Just to add... 2009/7/26 21:56
http://www.izu-kamori.jp/izu-cruise/?cmsdsessionid=5921...

Uji and Georg,
I used to enjoy that boat ride quite a lot so in my shock I went to search for any information - unfortunately, yes, the Shimoda - Irozaki segment seems to have been discontinued.

Georg,
They have the Shimoda bay cruise, and also they still have the coast boat ride around Irozaki, as Uji mentioned - so you could take the bus to Irozaki, then take a boat ride along the rocky coast.

I know that they raised the fare last year (compared with the year before), so they might have been having difficulty running the cruise, with the surging fuel price, and also considering the limited number of passengers I noted even then.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/26 22:20
Thanks AK and Uji!

Yes, I will go there by bus and do the sightseeing cruise around Irozaki. Perhaps there is enough time to do the cruise around Shimoda as well, thanks for your input ;)
by Georg (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread