Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onsens 2009/7/26 11:12
This may sound really dumb, but I was wondering, before we use any onsens, we need to clean ourselves. How is this usually done?

Thanks!
by J.Lin (guest)  

... 2009/7/26 21:33
I was wondering, before we use any onsens, we need to clean ourselves.

Often, it is sufficient to just rinse yourself with a bowl, scooping water from the tub or rough over all parts of your body.

Or you can sit on a small stool in front of one of the showers and clean yourself in any way you prefer. Soap is usually provided.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Onsens 2009/7/26 21:39
Thanks for your reply! But what about after the onsen? Do I need to shower again? Or what do I do?
by J.Lin (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/26 21:46
It depends on yourself. Some people (including myself) don't shower again after the bath because the water's minerals are thought to be remain a healthy effect when kept on the skin. But other people take another shower before leaving.

i always shower 2009/8/15 03:45
i always shower before i step in and after i step out of the water. You never know if some crazy tourist might pee in there.
by mrtravel (guest) rate this post as useful

??? 2009/8/16 08:59
Come on, why would anyone over the age of 3 pee in the bath? And why would a tourist be more likely to do something so incredibly antisocial than a Japanese person? I really don't think that's something to be concerned about.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/16 09:01
Even if somebody would pee inside, pee is in no way harmful or dangerous to your body.

encouraged to shower after 2009/8/16 09:13
With the pee aside, today you are often encouraged to shower lightly after using any sort of public bath tub. This is to avoid infection caused by bacteria typically Legionella.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

wash first 2009/8/18 18:16
I hate it when I see anyone just casually pour water on themself, then climb into the bath. The rule posted on the door says to wash first. This means scrubbing yourself with soap and soapcloth and rinsing before entering the bath.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/18 19:30
I hate it when I see anyone just casually pour water on themself, then climb into the bath.

That's how you do it traditionally! Many old baths do not even have showers and soap. Also, if you go bathing multiple times a day, you don't want to soap yourself every time.

It is too bad seeing old customs being attacked in the name of exaggerated hygiene.

The rule posted on the door says to wash first.

Some newer baths might display such rules, but in authentic places you won't see them. There, it is the rule to just pour some water on yourself first, then soak and then take care of the thorough cleaning.

old style 2009/8/18 22:34
My mother-in-law is a very traditional Japanese lady who keeps her house spotlessly clean, and at an onsen she will scoop water over herself a few times, soak for a while, then wash thoroughly before returning to soak again. I really don't think that doing things in that order will make the water that dirty.

The gym I go to has signs asking that people either wash, or pour water on themselves before entering the bathtub, so not every place asks people to scrub thoroughly before entering a bath.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread