Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR cyberstation seat reserve 2009/7/30 17:47
http://www.jr.cyberstation.ne.jp/vacancy/Vacancy.html

1)Is the above page for seat reserve on JRline. Do anybody know the English translation of this? I found this under the JR cyber station in the Hyperdia webpage

2) As a JR pass holder, do i need to pay extra if i reserve seat?

3) What will happen if i reserve seat but do not turn up? Will i be penalized or will i be rejected the next booking?

4) If the schedule in the Hyperdia did not show seat reserved, does it mean that i can just walk up the train? or i just need to fill in the ticket application form? As show here: http://www.geocities.com/leinsd/ticketform.html

I got very confuse with this JR cyberstation seat reserved and the ticket application form. Are they the same?

5) Where can i get the ticket reservation form? and what about the JR cyber station seat reserve page (i presume that can be apply online???)

Please advise. Thanks
by nkw  

... 2009/7/31 07:35
Is the above page for seat reserve on JRline.

No, the page only let's you look up whether there are still vacancies, but reservations are not possible.

Do anybody know the English translation of this?

No, there is no English version.

The only English website for online train reservations available is the following, but it is possible to make reservations for only a few trains:
http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/eng...

And the following website is a non-official service:
http://www.jet-lag.org/

As a JR pass holder, do i need to pay extra if i reserve seat?

No, seat reservations are free for Japan Rail Pass holders. You won't be able to use the jet-lag.org service for free reservations, though.

What will happen if i reserve seat but do not turn up?

A seat on a potentially crowded train will remain vacant, causing inconvenience to both the railway company and other travelers. Please respect your reservations!

If you happen to miss your train, there will be no penalty, though.

If the schedule in the Hyperdia did not show seat reserved, does it mean that i can just walk up the train?

Most trains have some cars with unreserved seats that can be used without a seat reservations, i.e. you can just walk up to the train. There are a few exceptions, such as the Narita Express on which seat reservations are mandatory, but Hyperdia does not explicitly show whether a train requires seat reservations or not. The way to find out: select "Unreserved Seat" under Charge fare. If the result shows "Reserved Seat" despite you selecting "Unreserved", it means that the train requires seat reservations.

or i just need to fill in the ticket application form? As show here: http://www.geocities.com/leinsd/ticketform.html

When making seat reservations, such a form can speed up the process, but they are not mandatory.

5) Where can i get the ticket reservation form?

Japanese versions are available around the ticket counters, but the English version is usually not available. You could print out a few and bring them to Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR cyberstation seat reserve 2009/7/31 21:25
Thank you Uji, your reply helps alot.

1) Is Narita Express part of JR line? Everytime i use Hyperdia to check train schedule from Narita airport to Tokyo, they dont use NEX but Keisei liner or LTD.EXP NARITA EXPRESS which took more than 1 hour to reach? Is this the same with Narita express that you mentioned?

2) Is the search results given by Hyperdia all cover by JR pass?

3) Is the search results given by Hyperdia showing the shortest travel period or shortest travel distance (least transfer)

Thank you
by nkw rate this post as useful

Non-JR services are also considered. 2009/8/1 01:06
: Is Narita Express part of JR line? Everytime i use Hyperdia to check train schedule from Narita airport to Tokyo, they dont use NEX but Keisei liner or LTD.EXP NARITA EXPRESS which took more than 1 hour to reach?

A train or service beginning with "Keisei" in Hyperdia search results is that by a company of Keisei group, not of JR group.
"Keisei Sky Liner" means Skyliner by Keisei, which requires charge.

Narita Express is a service by JR-East of JR group.
JR companies operate Express trains and Ltd. Express (including Shinkansen) trains which require charge.
Though named "Express," Narita Express is a Ltd. Express service. That's why Hyperdia uses "LTD.EXP NARITA EXPRESS" for it.

: Is the search results given by Hyperdia all cover by JR pass?

No. Hyperdia search results may include trains by a non-JR company.
JR pass does not cover any ride offered by a non-JR company.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

RE: routing tools, etc. 2009/8/1 01:16
: Is the search results given by Hyperdia showing the shortest travel period or shortest travel distance (least transfer)

No.
Routing tools such as Hyperdia and Jorudan show logically conceivable routes,
so search results may well include routes which are practically not easy to go on and/or transfers which can be omitted when you take a better route.

These tools may be effective when a user is informed of station names and railway networks by another source
to check whether the route is convenient to him/her.

The section in your example Narita Airport to Tokyo has many logically possible routes,
so the probability will be not so high for you to find the route which is best for your travel, I think.

: What will happen if i reserve seat but do not turn up?

The followings are rules applied to regular Reserved Seat Tickets.
Of course you also need a fare ticket or a pass corresponding to the fare required for the route.

As to trains of Narita Express and Shinkansen Hayate, Komachi (having reservation seats only):
With a Reserved Seat Ticket, a passenger can take a train on the same operation date without using a seat for the same section designated by the ticket.
As other trains:
With a Reserved Seat Ticket, a passenger can get on a non-reservation car of an Express / Ltd. Express train on the same operation date for the same section designated by the ticket.

//

JR cyberstation seat reserve 2009/8/1 12:44
Onotenashi, thanks you so much for your explanation on Hyperdia. I plan to purchase 21 days JR pass.

"Narita Express is a service by JR-East of JR group.
JR companies operate Express trains and Ltd. Express (including Shinkansen) trains which require charge."

1) Above answer by you: Narita express run by JR but require charge for JP pass holder? How do i know require/not require charge for a JR pass holder?

2) i presume any LTD express (shown on Hyperdia) which does not start with other company name is cover by JR pass? for example: Lts Exp Thunderbird, Ltd Exp Kaiji, Ltd super ozora etc

3)Any line that start with JR is cover by JR pass? exp:JR Chuo line, JR Kyoto line, JR Kobe line etc.

4) Am i right to assume rapid line that start with JR is cover by JR pass? But not other rapid line that start with other company name?

5) All Shinkansen by JR?

6) I plan to take JR night bus for long distance travel. Where can i find information of local/highway bus service/schedule free for JR pass holder? Any website?

Thank you

... 2009/8/1 14:57
Narita express run by JR but require charge for JP pass holder?

No, it does not.

How do i know require/not require charge for a JR pass holder?

If you have a Japan Rail Pass, you do not have to pay any surcharges. Only exceptions are when a JR trains partially uses non-JR tracks or if you use some special compartment, e.g. a berth on an overnight train.

i presume any LTD express (shown on Hyperdia) which does not start with other company name is cover by JR pass? for example: Lts Exp Thunderbird, Ltd Exp Kaiji, Ltd super ozora etc

Yes, I think that is how Hyperdia does it. A limited express train by different railway companies would be written with the railway company's name in the beginning, e.g. "Nankai Ltd.Exp. Koya",

Any line that start with JR is cover by JR pass? exp:JR Chuo line, JR Kyoto line, JR Kobe line etc.

Yes.

Am i right to assume rapid line that start with JR is cover by JR pass? But not other rapid line that start with other company name?

Yes.

All Shinkansen by JR?

Yes, except nozomi trains along the Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen.

I plan to take JR night bus for long distance travel. Where can i find information of local/highway bus service/schedule free for JR pass holder? Any website?

The small number of highway bus lines covered by the Japan Rail Pass is mentioned on the pass' official website:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

As for local buses, I am not aware of a single source that lists all of them, especially not in English. Generally speaking, there are small numbers of lines all across the country. This website mentions them in most cases, if useful to the average traveler:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

Validity of JR Passes 2009/8/1 15:34
As to validity of JR Passes and deference between Ordinary JR Passes and Green JR Passes,
see the page on the Japan Rail Pass website linked to by Uji.

6) of your latest post on 2009/8/1:
JR bus services covered by a JR Pass are operated by 8 companies. Not all highway bus routes are covered.
Let me refrain from linking at present to their websites; it may lead to a mistake.
I can not judge from "JR local/highway bus" whether it is covered by a JR Pass.

2), 3), 4), 5) 6):
A JR Pass only covers JR services. As to 2), 3) and 4), I also presume as you say.
In principle, a JR Pass covers fares and charges rides on JR lines (of trains, buses, ferries).
Exceptions:
- JR Pass doesn't cover a fare or a charge for a ride on a Shinkansen NOZOMI.
- Highway bus services are covered only on designated routes.
- Additional charges may be required to utilize a special space. (See below.)

1) :
: How do i know require/not require charge for a JR pass holder?
I should have explained better on this point....
An Ordinary JR Pass covers basic charges for Express / Ltd. Express services.
You can take an ordinary-class seat on a Narita Express train with an Ordinary JR Pass.
But, an Ordinary JR Pass doesn't cover an additional charge required when a passenger utilizes
an ordinary-class private space (private Compartment, sleeping bed)
or a Green (= i.e. superior-class) space (seat, private Compartment, sleeping bed).
A JR pass holder can utilize such a space when he/she pays for the additional charge and gets the ticket for it.

//

CORRECTION 2009/8/2 02:53
Let me replace the last paragraph of my latest post by the following one.
An Express / Ltd. express charge is not covered when a passenger utilizes a special space.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en008.html

1) :
: How do i know require/not require charge for a JR pass holder?
You can take an ordinary-class seat on a Narita Express train with an Ordinary JR Pass.
An Ordinary JR Pass covers charges, except for cases where a passenger utilizes
an ordinary-class private space (private Compartment, sleeping bed)
or a Green (= i.e. superior-class) space (seat, private Compartment, sleeping bed).
In such a case, a charge for the space or a charge for the Express / Ltd. express service is not covered by an Ordinary JR Pass.

//

JR cyberstation seat reserve 2009/8/2 10:28
Thank you Omotenashi for your further explanation!

1) It is clearly understood that as a ordinary JR pass holder that, we do need to pay extra charges for all Green car and for sleeping bed at ordinary car. However we don't need to pay for reserved seat at ordinary car nor Ltd express/express. Right?

2)Which counter at each station do we need to go in case of payment for the extra charges for sleeping bed reserve?

Thanks

... 2009/8/2 11:43
It is clearly understood that as a ordinary JR pass holder that, we do need to pay extra charges for all Green car and for sleeping bed at ordinary car. However we don't need to pay for reserved seat at ordinary car nor Ltd express/express. Right?

Yes, that is right. Assuming that it is a JR train that uses only JR tracks. On the following page you see a list of the small number of JR trains that use non-JR tracks:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2368.html

Which counter at each station do we need to go in case of payment for the extra charges for sleeping bed reserve?

The ticket counter, marked with a green seat:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/ticket/purchase.html

Reserving seats and which lines are JR? 2009/8/3 01:26
A couple of general hints:

There is no need to reserve seats before you arrive in Japan, so dont bother with the onlie stuff. If you are worried about getting seats or travelling at peak times just make seat reservations for your whole trip as soon as you arrive in Japan, on day 1 or 2. You can book your whole trip up sing the Japan Rail Pass.

2. Is ... a JR line? Try Google maps Japan - zoom in and look at the train line you will be on. Black and white lines on Google maps are JR, solid black lines are private - easy!
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

JR cyberstation seat reserve 2009/8/10 12:16
Thansk you very much, all the replies helped.

But i came a cross this web showing night train available

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2356.html#4

My Question:

1)Is the train shown from Ueno-Sapporo means it will have Sapporo-Ueno too? Because i can't find Sapporo-Ueno in the page?

2)Can i pre-book seat reservation at any station?

Thanks
by nkw (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/10 12:34
Is the train shown from Ueno-Sapporo means it will have Sapporo-Ueno too?

Yes, all these trains operate in both directions.

Can i pre-book seat reservation at any station?

Yes. Any JR station with ticket counter. Starting from one month before travel date.

Reservation and purchase 2009/8/10 19:32
Except for "short-distance" fare tickets, you can make JR seat reservation and buy JR regular tickets in advance.
Open hours of JR Ticket Offices differ by offices.
Also major travel agents will help you to make JR seat reservation, but I'm not sure whether a Japan Rail Pass / a regional JR pass is acceptable at counters of all the travel agents.

It seems that Ltd. Expresses you have found, Hokutosei and Cassiopeia, are very popular and easily fully booked.
Hokutosei run on every night in both directions, while Cassiopeia runs in either of the two directions on one night.
These Ltd. Express trains run partly via non-JR sections.
Even a Japan Rail Pass holder has to pay for the fares for the sections, in addition to JR charges, as is stated in Item 4 on this page.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en008.html

I don't know any JR official reservation system which is customized for English language users and is covering all the JR lines across Japan.
JR-East offers an online seat reservation system, but it doesn't cover Express / Ltd. Express trains to / from Hokkaido;
it requires a passenger to pick up the reservation ticket by the night before, and it does nothing as to any fare ticket.
JR-West offers a phone seat reservation & purchase system covering all the JR lines and fare tickets, but it's designed mainly for Japanese language users.

//

Book seats before flying to Japan? 2009/8/10 19:37
Just an aside to all this. Making seat reservations before you arrive in Japan really is not necessary - just do it when you first arrive - book all your seats for your entire holiday if you want to be sure, but it really isnt worth the hassle of going thru the online booking system before you arrive in Japan. It only covers JR East and most pax want to head to Kyoto anyway. Just a tip. Plan other parts of your holiday, like getting your accommodation sortes. Don't spend hours worrying about train seats before you get to Japan. Have a good trip anyway, all the best.
by Hikari365 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread