Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hikari trains - need to reserve? 2009/7/30 21:52
Just checking hypermedia for general travel times between places (Kyoto to Okayama to Nagoya etc). Luckily the longest is only a couple of hours.
Anyway, some of the trips mentioned the Hikari train, and mentioned 'reserved seat' and a cost.

Do I need to 'reserve' a seat on the Hikari, and do I also have to pay?

I WILL have a 7 day JR pass.
by meandher  

... 2009/7/31 07:44
No, hikari trains do not require a seat reservations. Each train has a few cars with unreserved seats.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Seat reservations 2009/7/31 08:29
Meandher,

As Uji says, seat reservations are not mandatory, but they are free with the Japan Rail Pass. Note that if you are using the Hikari Rail Star trains west of Osaka, reserved seats are a comfortable 2+2 business-class style compared to the regular 2+3 for non-reserved seating cars.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

reserve a seat 2009/7/31 17:19
My recommendation would be to reserve a seat, as Dave says its free with the JR Pass:peace of mind and guaranteed seat in non-smoking etc
by fmj rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/7/31 17:30
Thanks guys. It depends how stressed we are whether we reserve. I'm stressed just organising the itinerary.

I was under the impression there are very few smoking cars left these days? Its not a problem for me, I smoke, but the wife doesn't and I don't inflict it on her if I don't have to.
by meandher rate this post as useful

reply to this thread