Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is hugging considered in Japan? 2009/8/2 07:35
I know that in the US it is common to hug your friends, family, lover, etc. But what does it mean when a Japanese guy hug me? I noticed that he was rubbing my back and then my behind a little. Is this normal in Japanese culture?
by yumirikku87  

... 2009/8/2 10:19
Neither hugging nor rubbing backs are common forms of greeting in Japan. Greetings do not usually involve touching.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/2 11:07
Hugging itself doesn't mean much really... A gesture of friendship really. You'll see alot of it, especially around younger generations.

The rubbing your butt though.... Come on, do you really need to ask about that? ;)

Seriously, if he's your age, then he probably likes you. If he's much older, scream at him and knee him where it hurts. And if he's younger... find his Mummy I guess.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

I know 2009/8/2 11:46
hugging isn't a big deal but the rubbing part is what I'm wondering about. lol Well, I have asked him out. He has said Yes but we haven't gotten around to it cos' he's just too busy. The only thing I do with him now is text back and forth.
by yumirikku87 rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/2 12:08
If a guy whom I met for the first time touched my behind, I would consider it rude and inappropriate. Or I might wonder if he thought I was that easy. I would never think it was a form of showing an affection...but that's just me.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

However, 2009/8/2 12:12
I understand what you mean but he was very polite to me and he did however offer to drive me home.
by yumirikku87 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread