Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drive around Nikko 2009/8/2 18:19
May I know whether it is easy to drive from Nikko City Centre to Lake Chuzenji?
by Yeow Seng (guest)  

... 2009/8/2 21:52
It involves driving up a very windy mountain road. However, for a decent driver, it should not constitute any major problem. Orientation should not be a problem either, because there are not many roads and signs are bilingual (Japanese and English).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Rent a Car 2009/8/3 15:02
Thank you, Uji-san. May I know whether I can rent a car at JR/Tobu Nikko Station? Is there a car rental company I can contact?
by Yeow Seng (guest) rate this post as useful

Great Question! 2009/8/3 15:58
I had not thought of hiring a car in Nikko! But there will be nine of us.. I wonder if there is minibus that is ok with normal license.
Or! - I wonder if there is company we can hire to take us instead of the bus which maybe cheaper with 9 people (bus pass would be 9x 200yen= 18000 - would a hire company from Nikko just to the lake and return be cheaper than 18000 if available?
thanks to anyone with info.
by Gazle (guest) rate this post as useful

apologies Yeow Seng 2009/8/3 15:59
I hope it was ok to add to your posting! Your question is a great idea.

Sorry to add on 2009/8/3 16:26
Gazle,

I just checked Nikko Tourist association's website - they list the fare for a hired taxi to drive visitors for 5 hours to visit: Toshogu, Rinnoji temple, Futarayama shrine, and Chuzenji hot spring. The quote was 26,500 yen for a regular sedan taxi.

They say they have "saloon bus" (I assume a minibus) or "jumbo taxis" (I assumee a van) as well, but those would cost more.

(Website in Japanese)
http://www.nikko-jp.org/access/taxi.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Hire A Car 2009/8/3 20:23
No problem, Gazle and thanks AK for the information. We have 6 of us and thinking that driving will give us more flexibility. I hope the traffic is alright as we will be there on 27th & 28th Oct 2009. There are so much to see in Nikko!
by Yeow Seng (guest) rate this post as useful

Hiring Car in Nikko 2009/8/3 23:34
Hi. Don't forget about simply taking a taxi, or a couple of taxis for the journey - this will be cheaper than any hire car, less hassle and will allow all of you to enjoy the scenery along the way. Taxis are plentiful in Japan, poilte, helpful and will never rip you off. Leave car hire for a time where you really NEED it - like out in the countryside off the tourist train where there are no taxis. Have a good trip.
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/4 06:09
There is a Toyota Rentacar outlet at Tobu Shimo-Imaichi Station not far from Nikko Station.

Nissan and Nippon Rentacar have outlets at Nikko Station.

. 2009/8/4 07:32
Uhm, while driving TO and AROUND is fine, and renting a car is fine, does anyone care to comment on the PARKING - as this is something foreigners often neglect to think about. The cost, lack of, time taken to find etc...
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

27th Oct - Us too 2009/8/4 12:10
Might see you on the road Yeow Seng as the 27th is our plan also for Nikko.. both of us are already starting the traffic jam..sigh

driving 2009/8/4 14:46
of course both of you know how to drive on the left side of the road and can park in very tight places?
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/5 07:59
and can park in very tight places?

Regular parking skills will be sufficient. Parking spots in Nikko are regularly sized.

reply to this thread