Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shikoku by car... 2009/8/3 10:31
We'll be arriving in Tokushima by ferry from Tokyo mid Sept. and hiring a Tocoo car for two days. Would driving to Iya Valley and Kochi and back be feasible with an overnight at Iya Ikeda in that time?
Can anyone suggest a nice route to drive?. We don't mind non-toll smaller roads.
by Connie Chiwa (guest)  

... 2009/8/3 17:22
Driving times off the expressways are surprisingly long on Shikoku, especially in the Iya Valley, because roads are narrow and windy. If you start in Tokushima on day 1, I recommend to schedule arrival in Kochi for the afternoon of day two to have enough time for the Iya Valley. I recommend to drive along the entire valley starting at Mt. Tsurugi. I really enjoyed my overnight stay at Iya Onsen:
http://www.iyaonsen.co.jp/english.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/3 19:34
Maps of Shikoku seem rare for some reason - could you kindly indicate an actual driving route suggested from Tokushima and back please?
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

Shikoku Road Map 2009/8/3 23:40
The Iya Onsen Hotel Uji suggests is fabulous - stay there, perhaps in an upgraded room - private hot-spring overlooking the valley - lovely! For maps I suggest tyou use Google maps. Enter Japan into any country's Google maps then enter Tokushima, then click get directions. You can then enter a place to head for - Iya Valley is a little tricky so try awaikeda, the main station near the valley - that should work. This tells you road numbers, journey time and you can zoom in and see the route on the map.

PS - Dont forget Kotohira, north of Iya. Unless you have a specific thing to see in Kochi I would say Kotohira (with beautiful hillside shrine) is better - depends on taste though!
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

. 2009/8/4 20:16
I'm afraid Awa Ikeda defeated Google maps, but I'll keep trying......
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread