Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How many type of Japanese summer wear? 2009/8/6 13:15
Hi, just curious to know, how many type of Japanese summer wear. I had a chat with friend, we can think only one "Yukata". But my friend told me that there are more but he could not recall the name. Anyone know?
by rainwed  

. 2009/8/6 16:01
Asking how many type of Japanese summer wear there are other than the yukata is like asking how many type of English summer wear there are other than the sundress. In England you've got short pants, tank tops, linen jackets, etc., etc, etc. In Japan you've got jinbei, hitoe etc., and then there are other categorizations such as sa, ra, ro, etc., etc., etc.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

traditional summer wear 2009/8/6 16:28
perhaps a better title would have been 'traditional summer wear'

The most common ones I can think of are yukata, jinbei, and hapi
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

traditional summer wear 2009/8/6 17:29
That's what I meant. The type I mentioned are all traditional. For example, you can't go to a proper dinner in a yukata or jinbei, but you can wear a ro homongi from June to September. Btw, happi is not just for summer.

right 2009/8/7 09:10
Right, and neither are yukata, but they are predominantly seen during the summer.

Let's not take this question too literally, the OP is not from Japan and probably is thinking along the lines of what kind of Japanese clothing will I see people wearing say at a festival in the summer. Of course you could say that shorts, t-shirts, jeans, infinite other styles of clothing, but that is surely not what the OP is thinking about.

Its like asking what kind of clothes hawaiian people wear. Of course they wear infinite style of clothing but the answer you're probably expecting is hawaiian shirts, mumus, and grass skirts/coconut bras, things uniquely hawaiian.

no offence 2009/8/7 12:34
I don't have a problem with that, but it didn't occur to me that the OP was only talking about festivals. I also think that the reason the OP's friends couldn't think of a good answer was because they thought like I did.

I'd like people to know that I'm not trying to be literal or synical or offensive or what not. Yukata and jinbei just aren't the only wafuku for summer. I was just trying to help.

Btw, I didn't list shorts and T-shirts as one of my answers to the original question. I listed them as examples of clothing in say England.

Just to add 2009/8/7 12:39
Right, and neither are yukata, but they are predominantly seen during the summer.

Sorry, just to add, yukata can be worn as sleeping wear all year round but can be worn outdoors only during summer. Meanwhile, happi can be worn outdoors all year round.

I thought the OP was talking about summer wear you can wear in front of public.

Great Info 2009/8/7 13:26
realy thanks you guys, yes, i mean the traditional wear for Japanese people in summer. I did search to see the pic of those cloth you recommend. I do like Jinbei cloth very much, I may plan to buy and use in my own country.
by rainwed rate this post as useful

apoligies 2009/8/7 15:08
Uco, sorry I didn't intend for this to get heated and I'm not saying that you are wrong. I realize that yukata and happi are worn year round, and I wasn't saying specifically that the OP wants to know about festival clothes, rather what is uniquely Japanese summer clothes. That's what non-japanese are interested in. I just want this to be a helpful thread for the OP, and I noticed that too often on the forum innocent questions are taken too literally and the OP ends up ridiculed instead of helped.

Peace 2009/8/7 15:39
Yllwsmrf, I understand what you mean, and I suppose what "uniquely Japanese summer clothes" are to you and me are slightly diffent between us. But I'm glad the OP found what he wanted to know, and I'm sure he won't wear a jinbei to an important dinner :)

reply to this thread