Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I have a keitai without a line.. 2009/8/13 22:12
Hi there! I am currently living in Japan as an international student. I got my hands on a Japanese Keitai before coming here. Could I check if it is posible for me to open a new line for my existing keitai?? Hope you all can help me wih this. Thanks!
by Rayner (guest)  

expired ketai 2009/8/14 11:53
It depends on what carrier the ketai belongs to and what type of service it used.

If it was a softbank prepaid and the number hasn't expired then you can just purchase phone credit and continue using it. If the number expired then it won't be possible, however.

If it is was a contract phone then it may be possible to get a new contract and number with the carrier that it previously operated on. I tried to do this the other day at au, and the au store said that it was technically feasible, but no one had ever tried to do it before. They said that it would require a deposit of something like 20,000 yen to go with a plan that didn't require a contract, or I would have to sign a 2 year contract. In the end it was quite a hassle, and I went with a softbank prepaid as it served my needs better and for cheaper.

You mention in another thread that you are an exchange student for 7 months? Then perhaps a softbank prepaid would be best for you. The handsets start at 5000 yen and credit can be bought in increments of 3000 and 5000 yen.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

need more info. 2009/8/17 11:15
What kind of phone is it? Does it have a SIM card?
If you have a phone that takes a SIM card, then you can take it to the carrier and get it activated with no problem. I have an old Vodafone from 2006. When I got to Japan I went to Softbank with the phone and they gave me a card and a plan. It's pretty cheap if you already have a compatible phone. My bill is only 1200 yen per month. Also, I didn't have to pay a 20,000 yen charge to get started. just the standard 2,000 yen admin fee that has always existed.
by rallen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread