Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa/Alien Registration Card 2009/8/16 18:47
So I worked in Japan two years ago, and quit my job soon after. I still have a valid visa and alien registration card. Would there be any problems visiting purely as a tourist?
Cheers
by HC (guest)  

. 2009/8/16 19:35
When you left Japan did you leave with a re-entry permit?

Do you plan to use that re-entry permit to re-enter Japan?

On your exit you should return your ARC if you don't plan to return.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/16 19:40
If you are from one of the countries with which there is visa-waiver program up to 90 days (including US, UK, etc.) there is no problem if you want to come simply as a tourist.

I assume you are OUTSIDE Japan now. And that you have left Japan some time ago, still with a visa sticker in it for one of the working visa types, and that you still have alien registration card.

Since you say you still have a valid visa, I assume that when you left Japan, you had a re-entry permit. If yes, upon entry they *might* ask you if you are coming back to work again. If you say no, you quit your job and now you're visiting as a tourist, they will cancel the previous visa, and give you a "temporary visitor" status stamp into your passport.

If you don't plan to come to Japan for any long period of time in the future, you might as well return the alien registration card, saying you are no longer a resident.
by AK rate this post as useful

.... 2009/8/18 12:04
Thank you for your help.
to answer your question I am not in Japan anymore I was planning to go back but suddenly many teachers I knew lost there jobs. So I didn't go back to work. But yes, I still have a re-entry permit
by HC (guest) rate this post as useful

No Problem 2009/8/18 15:52
HC,
You have a valid visa and alien card plus a valid re-entry permit, everything is okay your still in, no problem just come in as a visa holder.

If you wanted to you could look for a teaching job and stay in Japan.
by DDD (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread