Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taxation 2009/8/20 03:28
I know this is probably different from country to country, but someone out there might be able to help me out.

The thing is: I'm living in Japan atm. After I graduate, I plan on getting a job. Now assume I end up having leaving the country: do I have to pay taxes over my earnings back in Japan? Do I have to pay my taxes twice, or maybe some extra taxes? Maybe one is required to pay taxes when it comes to large amounts of money? I'm not a US citizen, I live in the EU.
Thank you.
by RSI (guest)  

... 2009/8/20 09:55
Now assume I end up having leaving the country: do I have to pay taxes over my earnings back in Japan?

Regardless of whether you leave the country or stay there, you will have to pay taxes on income in Japan. If you leave during the tax year, you will have to inform the tax office and pay outstanding taxes, I assume.

Most EU countries should have tax agreements with Japan, which assure that you don't get double-taxed.

Basics about taxes in Japan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2206.html

Maybe one is required to pay taxes when it comes to large amounts of money?

No, you have to pay taxes on any amount of income! Only if the amount is really small, you might not have to pay anything.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread