Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Japan long-term? 2009/8/22 16:53
I hear a lot of conflicting stories about how the Japanese react to foreigners immigrating to Japan. I don't mean visiting as a tourist or working for a few years on a temporary basis, I mean actually getting a job, learning the language and social customs, settling down there, naturalizing or getting permanent residency, the works.

A lot of what I read says that while Japanese are friendly to tourists, any foreigner that stays long-term, they aren't as friendly to, and they don't like them, or see them as a threat. Or they see it as though they can't possibly learn the Japanese language or the right customs and how to act as well as a native Japanese person.

On the other hand, I hear some long-term residents just say that they always get treated as sort of perpetual tourists, meaning sort of a positive discrimination - they get treated like a 'guest' constantly, overwhelmingly politely, like any other tourist, even after years of being in the country and knowing the language, with some even having Japanese spouses and children.

The other thing I hear is the whole Uchi-Soto distinction, between in-groups and out-groups, that even if a foreigner is with a group of Japanese for years and years, even if they're friendly towards him or her, the foreigner is always viewed as being in the "out-group"

And of course some places just flat-out say that "most" Japanese don't like foreigners or don't like them coming to their country to stay.

Please help. I'm an American college student, and I've always wanted to work in Japan for a few years post-graduation (JET Programme, probably) and then maybe find something longer-term if I like it there, but I'm almost scared to because of all the conflicting reports I hear about racism and never being accepted there.

I have a great interest in Japan and Japanese culture, and I've been learning the language both independently and taking courses in my university, but I really don't want to go somewhere, put in so much effort and years of work, and even establish a household and a life, just to be always viewed as an "outsider"

Thanks in advance. I'd like some opinions from Japanese people in Japan, if possible, but anyone's welcome...
by Anthony (guest)  

... 2009/8/23 05:42
A lot of what I read says that while Japanese are friendly to tourists, any foreigner that stays long-term, they aren't as friendly to, and they don't like them, or see them as a threat.

That's what I often hear on forums, but my personal experience is different. The Japanese people have been friendly and respectful not only when I was just a visiting tourist but also now that I am a resident of their country.

Or they see it as though they can't possibly learn the Japanese language or the right customs and how to act as well as a native Japanese person.

That's a correct view, in my opinion.

On the other hand, I hear some long-term residents just say that they always get treated as sort of perpetual tourists, meaning sort of a positive discrimination - they get treated like a 'guest' constantly, overwhelmingly politely, like any other tourist, even after years of being in the country and knowing the language, with some even having Japanese spouses and children.

Yes, that happens if you live outside of the big cities by persons that you do not know. However, most people that know you, will eventually treat you as who you are.

The other thing I hear is the whole Uchi-Soto distinction, between in-groups and out-groups, that even if a foreigner is with a group of Japanese for years and years, even if they're friendly towards him or her, the foreigner is always viewed as being in the "out-group"

Nonsense!

And of course some places just flat-out say that "most" Japanese don't like foreigners or don't like them coming to their country to stay.

Of course this is not true. And even those Japanese that don't like foreigners, won't show it to you openly as it happens in other countries.

If you can keep up your attitude of positivity, respect and interest and adapt to the Japanese customs, you will love the country. But if you get into a culture shock, can't adopt and develop a negative attitude towards Japan and the Japanese, you will start complaining like the people whose opinions you have read on the other forums.
by Uji rate this post as useful

- 2009/8/23 14:19
You are right about their 'Uchi- Soto' distinction and you dont have to be a foreigner to feel it. I guess it is part of their culture to regard someone as an insider or outsider on a regular basis. Japanese usually form social relationships inside groups and to anyone coming after, though they may seem polite and friendly on the surface, they dont really include you in their circles unless they have a special interest in you eg in ur case, getting free English lessons! lol

Id think if you live in cities, you would have an easier time in Japan as people are more used to seeing foreigners and more likely you would find someone who speaks English there.

But at the end of the day, I think it also has to do with your personality and how you approach to them as well. Like I know this one guy who had such an active social life even though he lived in the middle of nowhere.

Showing that you respect their language/culture is always good. The Japanese love it when they hear foreigners speak Japanese. In fact, I think it could work as some sorta ice breaker. I guarantee ya if you speak Japanese to any J people, they would come back to you with a smile saying 'Wow do you speak Japanese??'

The younger generations usually dont have prejudice etc against foreigners and seem to be more open minded. Seeing that you are also young, you should try to hang out with them. (As a matter of fact, many college kids in Japan wanna be fluent in English!)

Good luck! :)

by missy (guest) rate this post as useful

group 2009/8/24 00:35
First thing you would have to understand is that any visit is going to be a short term visit (few years), things may work out for you that you end up staying much longer or you may find that life isn't as wonderful as the internet says it is here.

As for groups, I am still considered the odd one out amongst my friends, and absolutely nothing is ever going to change that. That's just a small detail you learn to accept pretty quickly. :)
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

depends on a lot of things 2009/8/24 08:35
Where as I feel totally accepted by my friends (mainly a group of quite internationalised Japanese and foreigners who speak Japanese), not the odd one out at all. Individual situations will vary.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread