Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Making a Japanese Will 2009/8/25 08:50
Could someone please tell me how to make a legally acceptable Will in Japan?

No foreign assets involved, just household contents etc. plus local bank account. Recipient(s) would be resident in Japan.

Is there a special form for such things and a particular format?

Is it something I could do myself (or friend, in Japanese language) and then take to a lawyer/notarary for stamping etc.?
by May (guest)  

... 2009/8/25 17:53
There seem to be sample wills, though there are no rigit formats.

Three ways to do it: (1) "jihitsu shousho yuigon" write it in your own handwriting (no typing or having it written by someone for you), seal it yourself, (2) "kousei shousho yuigon) have it made at a notary office (make your draft, then go to the notary office with two witnesses, having the notary officer write it, then have it signed by yourself and the witnesses), or (3) "himitsu shousho yuigon" make one yourself while keeping the contents confidential (you can type it up in this case - then take it to the notary office with two witnesses).

Even under (1) and (3), you would want to be sure that the contents are legally valid, so you would need to consult a lawyer or a legal scrivner. There are some documents needed to complete it as well. The surest way is to have it done under (2).
by AK rate this post as useful

Whoops 2009/8/25 17:55
though there are no rigit formats.

I meant to say "there are no RIGID formats."

Thanks, and.. 2009/8/25 20:10
Thank you very much for that, Ak!

Which of your 3 options do you think would be the cheapest (without sacrificing legality)?

For example, I've seen lawyers' fees of around 200,000 yen for drawing up a Will. That's quite horrifying!

Lawyers are never cheap, but what's the best I could do here?

by May (guest) rate this post as useful

I Forgot 2009/8/25 20:13
AK

I forgot...

Does your first option imply that I can do this without a lawyer? Would I just do this and leave with my executor, and that would be legally binding upon my demise?
by May (guest) rate this post as useful

I am no lawyer but 2009/8/25 21:31
May,

The first option is completely do-it-yourself option (in handwriting, whereas, option three can be typed up); however, the risk in both cases is that the contents *might* not be legally valid. The one who finds such will after your, well, demise, has to report it to family court, and must have the contents verified after contacting all possible inheritors (an extra process). If in the process it is found that the will lacks certain legal requirements (I do not know any details), the whole will may become void.

The second one should not cost that much - the notary that you consult will help you word the will, and the fee should not be more than 50,000 yen (depends on the amount of assets you are talking about).

Assuming (I don't know but) that you do not read/write Japanese, it would be worth asking a Japanese friend/acquaintance first to inquire about what is needed for the second option. Maybe you need to hire a professional interpreter (verbal translator) to help you communicate with the notary.

reply to this thread