Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Options for 18yo opening a Bank Account 2009/8/25 18:41
Just got back from Shinsei Bank and they told me that because I was under 20 I had to have identification of a parent and also a bank account of that parent (assume they meant bank account details, hopefully not that they had to have an account in Japan).

Is it like this for all banks? I guess If push comes to shove I`ll have to have my Parents post over some form of identification, if they have to be there in person I`m kinda screwed.
by JoeB91  

bank 2009/8/26 00:11
You might get away with a Yuucho account with Japan post bank.

Generally speaking in Japan you are still considered a minor. Did you ask the bank if a guarantor would be suitable instead?
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

A bank account under the name of a minor 2009/8/26 18:06
For the present, Japan's legal age for attaining the majority is 20; those who have not reached 20 are in principle regarded as minors.

Banks have to check the mind of your parent as a statutory agent for you, because you are considered to be a minor.
As to a bank account under the name of a minor [you], the statutory agent [your parent]
either makes deals regarding the account,
or agrees, with responsibility, to the minor's [your] making deals regarding the account.

Shinsei Bank requires that one statutory agent [your parent] has already had an account in the bank by the time when a minor [you] opens an account, presumably for the purpose of reducing the risk of camouflage deals. (A person who apparently has nothing to do with a bank can more easily try camouflage deals than a person who has an account in the bank.)

Deals regarding a bank account accompanies juridical acts which can be rescinded [invalidated] later if performed by a minor against his/her statutory agent's mind.
While you are a minor, you can not open or handle a bank account without permission or consent of a major.

//
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread