Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Permanent Resident 2009/8/28 16:14
Dear all,
I`m a foreigner who came to Japan in the year 2000. I came as international student and study my japanese Course for One year before joining a Japanese University for doing my Undergratuate and Masters in IT until year 2007. From April -2007 I join a Japanese company. I`m now working in a Japanese Company for about 3years. Can I be eligible to apply for PR..? Or should I wait until i reach 10yeays stay in Japan.
Do all those who have receive the PR should pass all the immagration requirment ? Or sometime it depend on your luck..!
Please any advice on that..?
Thanks.!
by willytz (guest)  

. 2009/8/28 16:53
I would lean to say it's case by case , though I don't think it hurts to go and ask immigration directly.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/28 18:19
I believe that the "guideline" is 10 consecutive years living in Japan, at least 5 of which should be on status other than student, so it might be a bit early for you. But it never hurts to ask.
by AK rate this post as useful

opinion 2009/8/28 22:05
I've been getting the impression lately that PR has been a lot harder in obtaining if reports from other foreigners are anything to go by.
You may find that they will want at least a few more years to go.
I agree with the others though, asking will not hurt anyway :)
by Kevin (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/29 01:25
It is definitely case by case. Big pluses are being married to a Japanese spouse, paying lots of taxes and other recognized contributions towards the Japanese society.

I am married to a Japanese spouse and got mine on the first attempt after four years of living in Japan.

My feeling is that, if you are not married to a Japanese and are living a regular life, the ten-year rule will probably apply.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread