Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I need someone who can vaccinize.. 2009/8/29 11:41
well here is our situation, my wife went home to the Philippines for her OB gynal check up and was given by the doctor 3 vaccines.. The first one was done already in our country and now the 2nd and the third is required to be done after 2 months.

Now we went to the hospital so that we can ask help for the vaccination of my wife but found out that they wont do it because they are not familiar with the vaccine that was given to us... Then they helped us also find smaller clinics and other hospital hoping that they would do it in behalf of them but nobody was willing because of the same reason of being not familiar with the vaccine.

Can anyone please help me find an american OB gynal doctor or even just a doctor or a registered nurse that can help us vaccine? because all our effort will be lost coz its a 3 shot vaccination...

thanks..
by paulCruise  

whats the vaccine contents? 2009/8/30 07:08
It would help if you told us what was the name of the vaccine (both its trade and generic name). It maybe that the vaccine is not yet available in japan and therefore it would be illegal for it to be administered as it has hasnt been approved by the governments food and drug administration department for medical use. Good luck.
by Deaks rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/30 15:47
You might want to try contacting some hospitals from this list - information on hospitals with English-speaking doctors provided as reference by the US Embassy in Japan. You might have some chance finding hospitals that cater to some needs of non-Japanese residents.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7119.html

As one of the hospitals listed there (under "internal medicine"), for example, International Clinic does mention something about vaccines provided in/outside Japan, so that may be a possibiliity.
http://web.mac.com/international_clinic/Site/Home.html

This is not my recommendation, by the way, but just for reference. Good luck finding a good doctor!
by AK rate this post as useful

the vaccine contents are.. 2009/8/31 15:34
well the name of the vaccine is wrutten as:
GARDASIL
-Suspension for intramascular Injection

then i think this is the generic name :

QUADRIVALENT HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS ( TYPES 6,11,16,18)
RECOMBINANT VACCINE

Well this was all written in the front of the box... Is there a chance for my wife to be vaccined with this in Japan even though the Japanese Government doesn't yet have the approval of this vaccine?

We're so desperate coz today is the actual day of vaccination but we cant do anything...
by paulCruise rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/31 18:43
paulCruise,

Please select some non-Japanese doctors from the above (link provided) and see if they can help.

I believe that GARDASIL is not approved in Japan, so you need to inquire with a non-Japanese clinic/doctor.

By the way, it was just in the newspaper today that vaccination called Cervarix, which I believe is for the same or at least similar purpose (sorry if I'm wrong) was just to be approved by the authorities in Japan.

... 2009/9/29 21:46
P. S.
It was in the news again that Cervarix, which is anothre vaccine that requires three shots (over a few months) for a similar/same purpose, is definitely going to be approved in Japan as well, to be available in the market probably before the end of this year.

I know it doesn't help you much, but just for information...

Don't act in haste 2009/9/30 02:50
Is her situation a life or death?
If not why panic..?
An American doctor will be violating the Japan law by injecting the vaccine not yet approved for the human use in Japan.
Alternative is to send her back to get the necessary injection, or see if she can get it through U.S. military.
by EichoKago rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/30 07:30
EichoKago,

This is more a very long-term disease prevention measure, which has been approved in many countries and considered effective. No nothing that is of immediate threat.

Medical School Clinic 2009/9/30 08:12
AK:

My daughter is an administrator at Stanford Medical School and,... she said refer her to the Todai U. Medical Hospital and/or to their clinic. Also the patient must have all relevant (written) information about the vaccine she received so that specific vaccine compound can be identified, and/or if not an emergency, then, wait for a vaccine to be approved for use.

... 2009/9/30 08:35
EichoKago,

Thank you for the additional (expert) information.
The vaccine comes in three shots, which needed to be given at an interval of one or two months to be effective. And the unfortunate thing was that the original poster did not know that the vaccine was not approved in Japan, though the wife has had two of the shots done outside Japan. It's just *very* unfortunate, but for the being, what you've suggested is the best (and the only) way, I suppose.
Again thank you - I just wanted to post the additional information (in the news yesterday) on the upcoming approval...

Difference in drug properties 2009/9/30 09:32
AK:

Gardasil not approved yet in Japan. Another drug similar was approved.

UPDATE 1-Japan panel backs Glaxo cervical cancer vaccine
Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:38am EDT

More News
UPDATE 3-US FDA panel backs Glaxo cervical cancer vaccine

* Glaxo's set to be first cervical cancer vaccine in Japan

* Final decision on approval should come within a month

* Merck also applied for approval of vaccine Gardasil

By Yoko Kubota

TOKYO, Sept 29 (Reuters) - GlaxoSmithKline (GSK.L) won support for its cervical cancer vaccine from an advisory panel to Japan's Health Ministry on Tuesday, putting it on track to be the first to offer such a vaccine in the world's second-biggest drug market.

The ministry should give its final stamp of approval within a month, said Takehiro Kimura, a health ministry official.

On Monday, British health officials said a teenage girl died after receiving a cervical cancer vaccine made by Glaxo, though no link could be made between the death and the drug until all facts were known and a post-mortem conducted. [ID:nLT165573]

Approval in Japan could help clear the way for Merck & Co (MRK.N), which has also applied for approval for its Gardasil vaccine. Both Glaxo's Cervarix and Merck's Gardasil vaccines protect against infection from the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus (HPV), which causes cervical cancer and genital warts.

About 2,500 women die each year in Japan from cervical cancer. Worldwide deaths from the disease total about 280,000, mostly in developing countries with inadequate screening.

Glaxo's Cervarix has already been approved in 98 countries, with sales in January-June nearly matching its annual sales of 125 million pounds ($199 million) last year.

A U.S. panel has also backed the vaccine for approval and a final decision could come this month, though Cervarix's launch in the world's largest drug market will lag Gardasil, which won approval three years ago. [ID:nN09323683]

Merck's Gardasil vaccine has been approved for use in 112 countries, and logged $1.4 billion in sales in 2008. (Additional reporting by Mayumi Negishi, editing by Will Waterman)

© Thomson Reuters 2009 All rights reserved

reply to this thread