Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wardrobe and driving a motorcyle 2009/8/31 18:05
Hi everyone,

I'm a secondary 4 (grade 10) student from Singapore. I'll be staying in Tokyo, Japan for 1 year right after my high school graduation this year. Though quite well travelled, I have never experienced winter, spring and autumn. I would like to start getting ready for my trip as I will be arriving on or around Christmas day and I donft even have a single long sleeve shirt!

First of all, what is the minimum I need to have in my wardrobe for winter? How many coats, long sleeve shirts? Also do people double up their trousers?

I presume the same wardrobe could be used for spring and autumn? Are there certain pieces that shouldn't be worn together? For instance, are shorts and knee socks together ok? Are skirts to be worn with stockings or knee socks (and not leggings)?

I'll be 15 years and 11 months this Dec. Am I old enough to drive a motorcycle?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I greatly appreciate any opinions!
by Mei Mei (guest)  

. 2009/9/10 16:22
Hi Mei Mei,

Not many people your age have more than 2 coats, but you do need at least one. Long sleeve shirts are a must, too. Bring or buy at least 3 so that you can catch up with your laundry. Young Tokyo-ers don't double up their trousers.

Yes, the same wardrobe could be used for spring and autumn, which will be a bit lighter than winter. Shorts and knee socks together are ok, but depending on the design it can look un-stylish. The safest thing to wear all year round are T-shirts and jeans.

A lot of girls your age wear skirts with black leggings. In fact, they wear black leggings with shorts. Again, knee socks with skirts are fine depending on the design. Especially in formal occasions, knee socks can be better than leggins. Stockings are appopriate, too.

Here is a shops that sell clothes on-line, but keep in mind they can be cheaper in Japan.
http://www.uniqlo.com/sg/

Once you arrive to Japan, you can also go to places like 109 mall in Shibuya or the Muji branches in department stores for reasonable priced clothes.

Motorcycle licenses are available only for those 16 years old and older.

Hope you have fun!
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Head 2 toe coordinating outfits 2009/9/20 20:34
Dear Uco,

Sorry for the late response. Thanks for your very detailed reply. How many layers of clothing do people usually wear during the winter? I was thinking around 3-4? In Jan, my plan is to wear a short sleeve layered by a long sleeve, layered by another long sleeve, then a jacket. Is this normal?

I think coordinating head to toe winter/spring/autumn outfits are so adorable. As I never had a chance to wear them, I am craving to wear them in Japan. Does dressing in mostly pink head to toe look silly on a 16 yr old?

I have visited uniqlo. Prices seem quite decent, but if cheaper in Japan, I should probably wait till I am there.
by Mei Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/20 21:12
How many layers of clothing do people usually wear during the winter?

It depends. I personally do not prefer layers as they make me look stuffy and make my movements less flexible. But I've seen posts on this very site from travelers who recommend bringing many thin clothing and wearing them in layers. That way your luggage will be lighter, and it will be easier for you to adjust your clothing.

In Jan, my plan is to wear a short sleeve layered by a long sleeve, layered by another long sleeve, then a jacket. Is this normal?

That sounds normal, depending on the design and colors which is very hard to express in writing.

Does dressing in mostly pink head to toe look silly on a 16 yr old?

I'm not sure if "silly" is the right word, but it's very risky. Pink is a difficult color, especially when you try to dress "mostly" in one color.

I have visited uniqlo. Prices seem quite decent, but if cheaper in Japan, I should probably wait till I am there.

You can compare prices by looking into their Japanese version of the site. Why not buy the least of what is necessary, such as a coat, before leaving, and then after arrival to Japan you can purchase some extra shirts or sweaters.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

markdowns 2009/9/21 03:51
Pink is a difficult color, especially when you try to dress "mostly" in one color.

That's true, I'm planning to wear pink along with purple or brown or red or white.

You can compare prices by looking into their Japanese version of the site. Why not buy the least of what is necessary, such as a coat, before leaving, and then after arrival to Japan you can purchase some extra shirts or sweaters.

I just bought a pink coat last week. Maybe I should just wait on the rest as choices are limited here. By Dec in Japan, are winter clothes still full price or have they been marked down at least once?
by Mei Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread