Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Citizenship for a Japan-Americ 2009/9/2 06:58
I'm currently 18 and am a Japanese-American. I used to have a dual-citizenship, but I don't believe I do anymore (considering my Japanese passport disappeared with all my family's after my parents got an American citizenship). My parents have lived in America for nearly 30 years (came to America for graduate school)but just recently got an American citizenship. I learned Japanese slightly before English though I'm not very good at it anymore. I went to a Japanese School for 10 years so I can read and write alright though it's not amazing considering I never really use it in America. I was hoping to work in Japan after college and perhaps even get a citizenship. If I were to, would it be any easier for me or would it be the same as any other foreigner?
by BillboardDreams  

You'd be the same as every foreigner 2009/9/2 12:23
You'd be the same as every foreigner and in my opinion, having no advantage holding Japanese citizenship.

I tried to do the same thing (I've got a Japanese passport and tried looking for a job out of university for about six months in Tokyo). First of all, if you hold a Japanese passport and your Japanese isn't at native/fluent level, HR will look at you weird. Why does this guy have Japanese citizenship and not have the ability to even read basic Japanese e-mails and write at a low level?

Secondly, people who speak English and Japanese are more than a dime a dozen. Furthermore, there's always going to be somebody who's a better English and Japanese speaker than you who they'd rather take on.

I tried for six months, perhaps my expectations of a good job were too high out of university but in the end, it just wasn't worth the trouble. In essence, you will have absolutely no advantage looking for a job in Japan compared to staying in the states. Good luck though!
by Ralph (guest) rate this post as useful

lots of threads on this 2009/9/2 17:02
Just open up the rest of the qusetions in this category and look among the recent posts for the question thread on obtaining a passport. Also search for dual nationality posts in the rest of the question forum. You should find the answers you need rather quickly.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread