Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hanko? 2009/9/2 16:48
I'll be studying in Japan on a student visa for a year and was informed I'll probably need a Hanko for some paperwork (basically, so I'll be able to open a bank account and get a cell phone while I'm there).

I'll be staying in Hyogo prefecture close to Itami city. My school is in Osaka...

About how long does it take to have one made?
I know the person's last name is used (mine would be written as ボーモント). Prices, from places that weren't in Japan (I believe), ranged pretty widely from 50 to over 100 dollars. I think, from the quote I asked for, I'd end up getting a round Hanko that's about 13.5mm across (so... medium?).

Where should I order one in the Osaka? Can anyone recommend a place?

Thank you!
by guest (guest)  

Tokyu Hands 2009/9/2 20:28
You can get one made up in about 1 hour at Tokyu Hands Creative Life Store - I'm sure there is one somewhere around Osaka Station area.
by Tomo Dachi (guest) rate this post as useful

not actually necessary 2009/9/3 08:50
I have been in Japan for 11 years and I don't have a hanko. I have opened bank accounts, set up cellphone contracts, and even got married here, and I have never needed one. By all means get one if you want one, but it's not compulsory.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/3 08:55
Maybe it depends on the region of Japan and your "lifestyle", but I have been using mine (and was forced to use it) again and again and again. Almost on a monthly basis, these days.

Among the activities that required me using it were the purchase of a car, the construction of a house, the founding of a company and almost all administrative aspects of running a company.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Oh 2009/9/3 08:57
My school had made it sound like it was some sort of a requirement for banks/phones etc. I will not worry too much about it since it obviously isn't, thank you!! :)
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/3 08:59
As for opening a bank account, I think it depends on the bank. Some require a hanko, others will accept a signature.
by Uji rate this post as useful

hanko 2009/9/3 09:07
Uji, I'm not surprised that founding a company requires a hanko. However, a student shouldn't really need one, and getting a cellphone contract certainly doesn't require one. In fact I have heard of cases where it is policy to have non-Japanese use their signature, and only Japanese people use their hanko.

In large cities most banks will accept a signature rather than a hanko, although it can depend on the staff member you talk to.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread