Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa 2009/9/10 06:33
HELP... My daughter wants to live in Iwakuni with her boyfriend for the next two years. Her boyfriend is military, but they are not married. I know that she can go there for 90 days without a VISA, but what does she need to do if she stays there for the entire two years?
by Laurie Hicks (guest)  

... 2009/9/10 13:11
For an American citizen,
- With just the passport, she can stay up to 90 days as Temporary Visitor Visa. She could repeat leaving Japan and going in again, but if she does it too many times, she could get questioned by Immigration.
- If she wants to live with her boyfriend, she needs to be married to him to be eligible for Dependent visa under "normal" Japanese Immigration laws, as there is no fiance visa for Japan. I imagine that to be the same under the special SOFA agreement for people on base. Ask her to ask her boyfriend about it at his base.
- She *could* enrol into a Japanese language school (if she is interested at all) and apply for a Pre-college visa (maybe one year or so). Of course she is expected to attend the school properly.
- I don't know how old your daughter is, but does she have a bachelor's degree? If so, she could look for an English teaching job, which leads to a work-permitting visa, but it would be difficult to find one exactly near where he lives.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread