Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Oxford University or Tokyo University? 2009/9/10 17:30
I just finished my undergraduate degree in Management and Economics at Oxford and now I have to choose where to take my MBA.

Which university will be better considering I want to work for an international company here in Tokyo?Oxford or Tokyo University?

I know japanese but I have a little problem with kanji.

How long is the MBA program at Tokyo University and how much does it cost?
by josh (guest)  

How long do you have? 2009/9/10 19:45
A Masters programme in England takes one year and in Japan it takes two years, so maybe it depends on how much time you have.
by MN, in England (guest) rate this post as useful

Harvard 2009/9/10 20:07
If you're going to work in Japan, then Toudai is as good as Oxford. If you're going to work anywhere else in the world, then Oxford has better name recognition.
by Kato (guest) rate this post as useful

Time doesn't matter 2009/9/10 22:20
Time doesn't matter for me. However I want to know which one will be more valuable in Japan

I believe it's oxford but I want someone else opinion too.
by josh (guest) rate this post as useful

most likely 2009/9/10 23:17
I think you should follow your hunch. However, why not ask someone already in your field for their opinion? Also, there is a similar thread on this forum. I think it is in the bottom section, the heading of which escapes me at the moment.
by Tilt (guest) rate this post as useful

toudai 2009/9/10 23:19
if you're going to stay in japan permanently toudai is the better choice. oxford is famous as well but toudai on your resume / transcripts carries a lot of weight in japan. you'll also make a lot of important business contacts while attending school at toudai which will serve you well later in your career.
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/10 23:55
Oxford is intentionally renowned, many countries know Oxford if not just for namesake and famous reputation. So its +++ and if you're in a international business its good as well.

Tokyo University, is +++ as well, but namesake wise outside of Japan is not as well known and ranks below Oxford (outside of Japan).

International business will be sending you to many places in the world, so you'll never know where you'll end up. Having Tokyo University is good in Japan, but so is Oxford, and Oxford carries a lot of weight with it, outside of Japan.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

It all depends 2009/9/25 21:54
I have MBA from Stanford acknowledged by all Japanese conglomerated here in U.S. Reasonable answer to your q is: Where your employer is... if in U.K then Oxford,.. if in Japan Todai. If in U.S. Harvard or Stanford or Berkeley.
by EichoKago rate this post as useful

Additionally 2009/9/25 22:20
Importantly, check where the company Chairman, CEO, Directors, and Executive attended,... We are bias about promoting.

. 2009/9/25 22:44
The current Prime Minister of Japan received his masters from Stanford as well.
The current US Ambassador to Japan as well went to Stanford.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Global business 2009/9/26 03:27
Ever changing international business climate calls for hiring of executive with knowledge beyond what you will gain attending Todai. Additionally english is the official business language globally. More and more Japan companies doing global business are now searching for foreign executive to become Chairman and President of home corporation.

I believe European companies and Japan companie conducting a global business would prefer Oxford MBA also. Further more Oxford is a revered university, known globally - Todai isn't. Example is this, lets say you come to us, we are a small but global tech corporation, with your MBA, definitely, we will hire Oxford graduate and pass Todai graduate although we have research facility in Japan, simply because Japan graduates are inept and incapable of making a business decision. Recently we had 2 manager candidate for the President position in Japan. Manager from India and a manager from Japan. We did not elevate the Japanese for a specific reasons - Japanese was robotic and mundane.

Another item of interest: Many assume Japan is still a economic power. Yesterday it was. And today she rely on the good wills with hope that international market will continue to welcome it, but the increased costs of Japan products and developing neighbor with accelerating growths are impediments Japan does not have an answer.

... 2009/9/26 07:35
The OP will need signifiant career experience to get into any serious business school. Most schools require 4-6 years of experience that demonstrate his/her motivation, abilities, leadership, etc.

I don't know that U. of Tokyo has an MBA program. The OP needs to do more research on programs he or she is interested in. For a European school, I would strongly recommend Insead over Oxford. For Japan, IUJ may have the best program because of its association with Dartmouth. But for Asia in general, HKUST has the best program because of its association with Wharton.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread