Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Observations of the Japanese. 2009/9/11 08:49
I just came back from a 10-day trip in Tokyo. These are a few observations I've noticed. Can someone pls explain to me?

1. I see trash bins labeled for bottles, cans, combustibles, non-combustibles, what the heck is combustibles and non-combustibles? Would bottles be combustibles?

2. Is it rude to eat in public? I bought some foods down in the basements of the department stores and couldn't find any place to sit and eat, so i ate while walking around the food floors? But I couldn't find any trash bins to discard my food so I realized maybe japanese don't eat and walk in public.

I ate on the streets a lot but I had a really hard time finding trash bins except in front of 7-11 or AM-PM stores. Sometimes i had to hold the trash in my hands for hours until I could find a trash bin to discard it.

3. Why do all japanese salarymen wear black suits? do gray, blue suits mean anything to them?

4. Why japanese don't speak english? I'm not saying they should, but I'm curious why japanese don't speak english?
by mrtravel (guest)  

observations 2009/9/11 11:01
1. I see trash bins labeled for bottles, cans, combustibles, non-combustibles, what the heck is combustibles and non-combustibles? Would bottles be combustibles?

No, bottles would be bottles. Other than that, what is considered combustible depends on the municipality. In some cities it includes plastic while in others it may be paper products only.

2. Is it rude to eat in public?

Generally yes.

I bought some foods down in the basements of the department stores and couldn't find any place to sit and eat, so i ate while walking around the food floors? But I couldn't find any trash bins to discard my food so I realized maybe japanese don't eat and walk in public.

That is correct.

3. Why do all japanese salarymen wear black suits? do gray, blue suits mean anything to them?

Some wear other color suits, but black is most formal and most popular.

4. Why japanese don't speak english? I'm not saying they should, but I'm curious why japanese don't speak english?

Because there's not opportunity to use English on a regular day to day basis. You could replace english with any other language and its the same reason.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Japanese customs 2009/9/11 11:36
That's what every other responsible person in Japan does as well, carry their garbage (usually in their bag) until they find a bin in a department store (usually by the door), at a station or in front of a convenience store.

It's considered rude to stand or walk and eat, but you could sit in a park for example and eat- that would be quite normal.

I see office workers wearing navy, grey, and beige suits all the time. Black is predominant though- Japanese people like to be formal.

As for why Japanese people tend not to speak English well, there are many theories about this and much has been written about it- try an internet search and see what comes up.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

my opinion 2009/9/11 12:19
1. I see trash bins labeled for bottles, cans, combustibles, non-combustibles, what the heck is combustibles and non-combustibles?

Bottles and cans are separated, because they can be recycled (the glass and metal can be transformed into other items, therefore reducing waste and saving the earth). Combustibles and non-combustibles are in other words burnable items and non-burnable items. As mentioned, the content differs depending on the municipal as some cities have a better hearth than others, but generally speaking, combustibles are paper and non-combustibles are plastic.

Would bottles be combustibles?

Some plastic bottles are non-cumbustibles, but most bottles including PET bottles are to be disposed to the bin that says "bottles."

2. Is it rude to eat in public?

Generally yes. In particular, if you eat while walking inside department stores, you might spill some food and make others slip over it. Most department stores have a tiny park on the roof. You can go up there to eat, or simply bring the food back to your accomodation.

I ate on the streets a lot but I had a really hard time finding trash bins

Most trash bins were taken away after the 911 terorism for security reasons. Also, it is interesting to know that according to research, where there are trash bins there tend to be more litter. For this reason, even a lot of parks don't have trash bins. But if you go back to the shop you bought your food at, the shopkeepers will usually throw away the trash for you.

You must have been staying in the trendy part of town. Not "all" salarymen wear black, but black or very dark gray is the trend among younger workers. Black is also easy to match with other colors or make-up, and stains won't stand out. Those are among the main reasons people tend to choose black. I wouldn't say it's because it's formal, but since black can be worn both in formal and informal occasions, that can be another reason why black is handy. A lot of men I see wear light gray suits as well as navy blue or brown, and women often wear more colorful clothes to work.

4. Why japanese don't speak english?

That is a mystery even among the Japanese who can't speak English! But I think the main reasons are, as mentioned, because we get few opportunities to practice our English in the streets here in Japan, and also because the Japanese are generally shy and hesitant to speak a language they're not confident in. But note that Japanese grammar is very different from English grammar compared to most other languages in the world. That makes it difficult too.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread