Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About professional appearence (male) 2009/9/12 01:41
I am applying to a summer law school study abroad and internship with a law firm in Tokyo for 2 months this summer. They have requested some photographs of myself in business attire. I am more concerned with their expectations when I get there than these pictures. I only have one suit, though several shirts and ties. Should I be concerned about trying to find 2 or 3 more bargain suits (still nice enough looking) to wear while I am there? I am assuming that 2 months of me in the same suit may get a little stale. I defiantly do not want to approach this too casually because after law school I'd like to try and find a job in Japan so I need to maintain my professional reputation.

Also in regards to submitting the photographs, I know this message board has talked about long hair on men before and the consensus has been as long as it is kept clean and neat then it should be fine. Mine is a bit above my shoulders, is that too long for a gaijin trying to look professional in this type of environment? I am not that attached to it so cutting it off is not an issue but I do like enough to keep it while I'm at home.

Thanks a bunch for the help everyone, as it gets closer to the summer I am sure I will be back with more questions.
by Alex (guest)  

... 2009/9/12 13:01
Well, your suit will definitely start looking worn and tired if you wear it every day - clothing needs to rest at least one full day so to say to keep their shape - so yes, it is recommended to have at least two more so you can rotate them :)

About hair style: from just the length I cannot tell how it *looks* - really, as long as it is neat, it should be OK, particularly if it's above your shoulder. You can always get a haircut once you start working in your company and find out how it fits in :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Japan 2009/9/12 16:21
Definitely don't wear only one suit, even if you have more than one pair of pants. Japan is very hot and humid in summer, and you really need to air/dry clean that jacket regularly. At least two jackets and 4-5 pairs of pants would be a better idea.

As for your hair, depends on how conservative your company is. Some may frown on it, others may not mind if it's tidy. Rare to see hair past the ears on an office worker of professional here.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

correction 2009/9/12 16:21
Sorry, "office worker or professional".
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/12 18:44
As someone who wore the same suit day in and day out, yeah its better to have an extra pair or two.

You can get bargain off the rack suits for as low as 7000yen a suit.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Hair on Japanese males 2009/9/13 07:24
I don't know about gaijin-san, but Japanese males are expected to show his ears, eyebrows, and his hair should not be long enough to touch his collar. Note that he is expected to face straight towards the camera and look serious. This attire should go on until he is employed. Once he starts working, perhaps he can have his hair longer depending on what kind of people he is dealing with. Posting just for reference.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

gaijin 2009/9/13 15:31
as a foreigner you have a little bit of "gaijin leeway" so don't worry TOO much about your hair, but make it presentable. if it's shoulder length you'll need to find a way to perhaps slick it back with wax, or style it so that it looks fairly conservative.

definitely don't come with only one suit, it's bad form. buy some new suits from a thrift store, have them tailored to fit you if the fit is not good.
by Winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread