Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese citizenship for baby 2009/9/29 21:38
I am a foreign national (European), but the father of my unborn child is a Japanese. We are not married. Currently I'm living in Europe, he is in Japan, I'd like to give birth here and then move to Japan and get married there with him.
Can my child obtain Japanese citizenship by the acknowledgement of paternity? Before or after birth?
I heard about a new law concerning this case, can anybody help please?
by Pinky Poo  

No lawyer here but as far as I know 2009/9/30 13:20
As far as I know, the following is how the law concerning natinoality works in Japan when only the father-to-be is Japanese and the couple is not married. Since the father IS Japanese, your baby will be granted Japanese citizenship alright :) but the process may sound a bit complicated.

(A) For the child to obtain Japanese citizenship upon birth, either:
(1) you have to get the father to do "taiji ninchi" (acknowledgement of an unborn child as his) BEFORE birth.
or
(2) you have to be legally married before the baby is born.

(B) For the child to obtain Japanese nationality through acknowldgement AFTER birth:
After the birth, the dad acknowldges the baby as his, then an application is made for the baby to be granted Japanese nationality on that ground (you don't have to be married for this to happen).

Please inquire at the Embassy of Japan in your country for precise rules and requirements.

The law used to require in the case of (B) above that the couple needed to be married - now the "marriage" is not a requirement; just the father's acknowldgement suffices. A verdict was given on the older law that it was unconstitutional because iit was discriminating against "out-of-wedlock" children, so to say.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/30 16:00
I think this is the new law that you heard about.

http://www.tokyowithkids.com/fyi/moj_citizenship_kids.html
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

If you are not fluent in English 2009/9/30 19:54

Hallo,
Sorry, Englisch Deutsch nicht perfekt interpretiert werden. Übersetzung wurde von einem Übersetzer gemacht. Ich hoffe, es wird eine Hilfe sein.

BEACHTEN SIE, DASS:
Das Kind muss in Koseki des Vaters Touhon registriert werden. Wenn das Kind nicht in der Familie des Vaters eingetragen worden (es ist ein besonderer Ort für illegitime Nachkommen), muss bereit sein, im Rahmen eines Verfahrens gehen als ''Ninchi''. Dieses Verfahren wird dadurch erschwert, aber nicht unbedingt unmöglich, von einem Vater, der nicht bereit ist. Es gibt mehrere Fälle von Müttern, die in der Lage gewesen, um das Verfahren mit Hilfe von Gerichtsurteilen abzuschließen. Auch mit Hilfe des Vaters, kann das Verfahren sehr lange dauern, je nach zu einem großen Teil auf dem Original-und Staatsangehörigkeit der Mutter (2 Jahre ist keine Seltenheit).

Aus irgendeinem Grund gibt es eine Frist auf der Broschüre von 2011 31. Dezember gedruckt. Dies deutet darauf hin, dass, wenn das Kind nicht erhalten hat Ninchi doch, dann gibt es eine enorme Dringlichkeit, sich zu beeilen werden können und arbeiten daran, es. Auf der anderen Seite ist es wahrscheinlich möglich, den Antrag auf Staatsbürgerschaft einzuleiten und streben auch die Ninchi gleichzeitig verarbeiten. In jedem Fall ist der letzte Termin des Kindes 20. Geburtstag. Dies kann auf dem Antragsformular zu sehen, unten in der Front, wo die Anforderungen aufgeführt sind:
* Ninchi abgeschlossen (Datum)
* Antragsteller unter 20 Jahre alt
* Anmelder keine japanischen Staatsangehörigkeit (ja, das ist wirklich das, was er sagt!)
* Die wather war zu der Zeit das Kind geboren wurde Japanisch.
* Der Vater ist immer noch Japanisch, oder war zum Zeitpunkt seines Todes Japanisch (wenn er verstorben ist, Zeitpunkt des Todes)

Die einen konkreten Fall, dass ich von der ''Ninchi''-Prozesses, mit der Zusammenarbeit des Vaters, nahm nur etwa 2 Jahre, aber der Eintrag in Koseki des Vaters Touhon datiert zurück auf den ursprünglichen Empfang des Antrags, den Tag nicht, dass es schließlich ermächtigt als abgeschlossen. In anderen Worten, selbst wenn Sie denken, es könnte zu spät zu beginnen, weil Ihr Kind ist fast zu alt, um die Frist zu machen, vielleicht, wenn man sofort beginnen, ist es noch möglich ist. Die Frist bis Ende des Jahres 2011 erscheint mir als eine Art Blockademanöver durch das Ministerium für Justiz gegen die Entscheidung des Obersten Gerichtshofs. Ich glaube nicht, dass es vor Gericht Bestand haben. Aber vor Gericht zu gehen ist teuer.

by EichoKago rate this post as useful

Thank you very much 2009/10/1 07:29
Thank you for the useful information.
Now I'm wondering, how can we make this "taiji ninchi"?
I searched a bit online and just once found that I have to be in Japan in person to hand in application. But as I said I'm in Europe and father only is currently in Japan.
Which documents do they need from me?
by Pinky Poo rate this post as useful

Baby first, Japan second, 2009/10/1 08:07
Once you have returned to Japan you can the get the application from the City Hall or the Ward Office. Because you are in Europe, not much more you can do.....
by EichoKago rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/1 08:17
Upon further research what I'm finding out tells me that maybe this "taiji ninchi" can only be done if the mother is in Japan :(

From your side you need to have a papar saying that you are pregnant. In Japan this is sent to the city hall and the mother receives a baby(-to-be-born)'s health record booklet.

From his side he needs to get this form for acknowledgement (completely in Japanese) from the city hall, which he fills out to say that he acknowldge the baby-to-be-born as his.
http://www.pis.or.jp/marriage/ninchi/ninchfrm.htm

A website on the procedures (in Japanese) by a lady who had a baby while the couple remained unmarried, in case your partner is interested to find out more:
http://www.tom-yam.or.jp/~kazu/childlaw.html

Maybe for you, getting acknowledgement after the baby's birth may be simply easier :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread