Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translation 2009/10/13 11:34
Hey, i'd like to send a short message to a friend who was sick when i left.

could you please translate for me :
"I hope you have healed yetand you are in good shape now"

Thanks
by pascal13  

maybe that d do 2009/10/13 14:11
genki ni naru to ii desu ne!
by ::: (guest) rate this post as useful

more specific 2009/10/22 10:46
Anata wa tachinaoru to kitai shite, kimochi yokunarimasu.
by Kokuryuusama rate this post as useful

To be more precise, 2009/10/22 14:41
Mou yoku natteru to iidesu ne.
by a passer-by (guest) rate this post as useful

not precise and less correct. 2009/10/24 04:13
"mou yoku natteru to ii desu ne" is just saying "i hope your better soon". this is pretty informal too with no courtesy.

thats not even 2/4 of an answer for the orignal question (i hope u have healed and are in great shape?)

Kokuryuusama's trans is more accurate, more polite and with courtesy.. BUT it may be a too advanced sentence for a beginner.
by saraachan (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/24 09:46
A passer-by's "Mou yoku natteru to ii desu ne" says "I hope you have already recovered (by now)," or "It'll be great if you have already recovered (by now)," so I think it is closer in meaning to what the original poster asked for.

Kokuryuusama's translation is grammatically jumbled up, I'm sorry to say, and it says "you expect to get back on your feet, and come to feel great" or something of the sort.

Some suggestions in polite speech:
- Mou sukkari yoku natte, genki na koto wo negatte imasu (I hope that you've recovered fully and are fine)
- Mou sukkari yoku natte iru to omoimasu ga, o-genki desu ka? (I hope that you've recovered fully, I assume, are you doing well?)

If you want something in casual speech (to a close friend):
- Mou genki ni natta ka na. (I wonder if you're well by now.)
by AK rate this post as useful

"ne" is tricky 2009/10/24 14:46
The term "ne" always appears to be very tricky on non-native speakers.

If you say, "Mou yoku natteru to iidesu ne." to a friend, that means, "Hope all is fine now, don't you think?" In other words, you are expecting the friend to wonder with you about someone else's health and not the friend's health.

On the other hand, "Genki ni naruto iidesu ne." means, "We (you and I) hope you get well soon, don't we." so it's not exactly the translation the OP wants to know.

Just to add to AK's always magnificent examples, you can also just say,
"Mou yoku natteru to iidesu."
without the "ne." This means, "I hope you are well now."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread