Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Notary Services in Kochi/Kobe area 2009/10/14 09:58
My ex-wife is Japanese, living in Nankoku/Kochi area. She left several US retirement accounts and bank account in USA when we divorced. Now she has rectal cancer and cannot afford $ to visit US to close accounts and get assets to live/pay for cancer surgery and treatment. Besides as a retired MD I can't see someone on radiation and chemotherapy enduring flight to US just to get assets! I am helping all I can. Does anyone know if Notary Public service is available in Osaka-Kobe US Consular Office? I think she can endure the short flight from Kochi to Kobe. That way I can visit,get POA and transfer assets to her to prevent loss of her (and her mother's)home.
by Tommy Teddy  

. 2009/10/14 10:54
Yes, they do provide notary services. Check out their website for details.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Notary Only @Tokyo-U.S. Consulate 2009/10/14 11:25
It seem that notary service is offered only at the Tokyo Consulate and only the Power of Attorney is available at the Osaka Consulate.

U.S. Embassy Tokyo
1-10-5 Akasaka
Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-8420

Tel. (03) 3224-5000 / DSN 224-5000 Switchboard
Fax: (03) (03)3224-5914 / DSN 224-5914 (all passport inquiries)
Fax: (03) 3224-5856 / DSN 224-5856 (all other non-visa inquiries)

Nihongo

The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo provides notarial services for the items mentioned below. Hours for services at our Consulates in Japan vary. For more information on business hours, as well as directions and our phone and FAX numbers, please locate the office serving your part of Japan.

For customers coming to Tokyo

This service is provided by appointment only. Please make an appointment online.

Notarial services provided by the Embassy and Consulates are primarily for the benefit of American citizens and legal permanent residents (i.e. 'Green Card' holders). Foreign nationals may also have documents notarized, but only if the documents will be used in the United States. On exceptionally busy days we may limit the number of documents that may be notarized.

Power of Attorney:

An affidavit is a sworn statement. Affadavits may be used in many different situations for many different purposes. Using our blank affidavit form (requires Adobe Acrobat to view; download the free software), you can write out any statement you may wish to make. Please remember not to sign the form before you come to the office. You will need to sign it in front of the consular officer.

We cannot advise you about the specific language needed in your affidavit, so please consult a lawyer or other advisor for that type of assistance before coming to have the document notarized.

Fee: $30.00 for the first copy of affidavit or notary, $20.00 for each additional (any) copy.

osaka.usconsulate.gov/

*go to this link & open the U.S. Consulate, click on top "U.S. Citizen Services", click N for notary.

by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/14 13:06
Maybe I missed it but where does it say that notary services are available only in Tokyo? It just says that the hours vary outside of Tokyo.

BTW, the US Embassy is in Tokyo, not a consulate.

notary 2009/10/14 13:27
It doesn't say it directly but it is implied on the following page that the consulates offer a more restricted set of citizen's services than the American Embassy in Tokyo. It would be best to consult your nearest consulate or the embassy directly. Contact info is also on the following page:

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7123.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

notarial services 2009/10/14 13:28
Consulates in Fukuoka,

I've used the consulate in Fukuoka a couple times.
from the Fukuoka con. website
Notarial services provided by the Embassy and Consulates are primarily for the benefit of American citizens and legal permanent residents (i.e. 'Green Card' holders). Foreign nationals may also have documents notarized, but only if the documents will be used in the United States. On exceptionally busy days we may limit the number of documents that may be notarized.
by wds (guest) rate this post as useful

On the top 2009/10/14 14:32
The U.S. Embassy in Tokyo provides notarial services for the items mentioned below.

Best to give her the telephone # to other embassy locations so she call & verify or as if other consulate location are doing the notary work
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/14 15:47
I thought it was pretty clear from stanfordgal's first post that consulates do provide notary services:

Notarial services provided by the Embassy and Consulates are primarily for the benefit of American citizens...

but here's Osaka's page:

http://osaka.usconsulate.gov/wwwhe-acs2.html

title 2009/10/14 16:11
it was the title of her post that was confusing, combined with a lack of information on the Tokyo Embassy page about what specific services are available at each consulate. Good to know the OP won't be required to travel the extra distance to Tokyo to get notary service.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread