Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student Visa - No Money for school 2009/10/17 20:25
My situtation is this.

I go to a language school here in Osaka and my student visa is good for 2 years.
My problem is though that I might not have enough money to pay this semester. My question is, and someone told me this and don`t know if its true or not, but is it possible to stay in Japan until my visa expires in 2 years and work here in Japan to pay the school or would I have to go back immediately if I can`t pay? I would really like to stay here and am trying really really hard to find work and pay the school so I`m wondering all the possibilities.

Thanks
by aaa (guest)  

Do You Understand This? 2009/10/18 11:30
If a foreign national who resides in Japan wishes to change the activity that is the purpose of his residence, he must receive permission for change of status of residence for the new activity.
If a foreign resident in Japan intends to engage in an unauthorized activity under his/her current status of residence, and such unauthorized activity falls under other status of residence, then the foreign resident does not have to leave Japan and may apply for changing his/her status of residence in accordance with this procedure.
If a foreign resident intends to change his/her status of residence, he/she must apply to Minister of Justice for changing his/her status of residence in accordance with the applicable procedures as set forth in the Immigration Control Act Enforcement Regulations.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/18 12:47
PreCollege student visas are valid for up to two years, HOWEVER your landing permit is usually stamped for 6months-1 year, and you have to renew it every 6months-1 year (depending on which stamp you got in your passport). I have never met anyone with a precollege student visa with a 2 year landing permission stamped in thier passport.

So first I would check what the landing permission says in your passport. Most likely it says one year.

If you dont pay your school, then CONSULT the school with your problem, sometimes they are flexable and allow you to have a small extention.

Any case if you can't pay you're in violation of school and immigration rules on supproting your school fees or having someone support your school fees if you can't pay. the school can report this, and when it comes time to renew your visa, that renewal might be rejected.
by ExpressTrain. (guest) rate this post as useful

Guidance Counselor 2009/10/18 14:53
Enlist a help from the Guidance Counselor, pronto!

Ask your family.

Find a cheaper place to live and don't spend money.

Barter your service for tuition fees with a local merchant.

Don't quit school!

SORRY, I FORGOT 2009/10/18 15:21

reply to this thread