Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Girlfriend ring 2009/10/27 00:12
Hi All,

It happens to me that my girlfriend is Japanese, I know there's tradition in Japan (not in Spains, that's where I from.

I've been in Japan twice, but this time I'm flying to staying with my girlfriend after her return and I'm gonna meet her parents.

She's not specting anything from my, but I spended 1500 Euros in a ring form her.

I would like to know:

Is that ring very important for a Japanese women?

Does he parents beleive I'm in serious with that gift.

I hope yes, anyway I need som feedback please.

Domo Arigato
by jamesjoice (guest)  

. 2009/10/27 10:49
There is no such thing as a tradition of grilfriend ring in Japan. Are you talking about engagement ring? In any case, it does show you are commited to the relationship.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

ring 2009/10/27 14:59
While guys here do sometimes buy rings for their girlfriends as a present, I would say no more or less than in other countries.

It's hard to say whether that will make her parents think you are serious about their daughter or not- that's an individual thing. Just like in other countries, some girls are impressed by things like that, others not so much.

Your "girlfriend ring" by the way, cost more than my wedding ring- I hope she really is the girl for you!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/10/27 17:13
(guest) : Yes it is , it's called couple rings.
by jamesjoice (guest) rate this post as useful

rings 2009/10/27 17:36
Sure there are couples rings, recently they seem popular. Are they compulsory? No. Also couples rings are a pair, worn by both partners.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/10/27 22:58
James joice,

It is not traditional. Yes, young people like to do that, but it is nothing more than a pop culture. As Sira pointed out, it is just another excuse for present, and people rarely spend that amount of money for couples rings. Sorry, if I missed something, but that's how I see as a Japanese peerson.

Then? 2009/10/28 00:10
Then,

What am I doing????????

How it's gonna be viewed from her parents and herself???
by JamesJoice (guest) rate this post as useful

intention 2009/10/28 00:24
Depends on your intention. What does the ring mean to you? Is it engagement ring? If not, it doesn't really mean anything except you're serious -- but not serious enough to propose marriage.
by mdchachi rate this post as useful

not an engagement ring 2009/10/28 00:43
mdchachi:

Well is not an engagement ring. I'm serious but is to soon to get merried, I mean... I moving to Japan next year and first I gotta be working, and then we will do so.
by jamesjoice (guest) rate this post as useful

Is That All She Is Worth? 2009/11/1 16:17
jamesjoice,

Let me tell you what my mother said. "What for?" And she added, "Who is he trying to impress?" And she finished with, "Trying to buy her love!"

by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

symbolizing love with materialism is 2009/11/4 12:32
Not real. If you want to impress her or her parents you need to do so with the sincerity of your words. If her parents are japanese i would recommend having a formal/positive attitude. If your going to propose engagement you should discuss that with her before you blindly alienate yourself in front of everyone. You may want to meet her parents before you decide anything. If you don't live up to your word your relationship is as good as done. Good luck!
by Wanderer (guest) rate this post as useful

couples rings 2009/11/4 13:44
I think you are missing the point of this thread. The OP is asking about couples rings (pre-engagement rings, promise rings, etc.) which, while not necessarily common, do exist in Japan. I see them all the time at jewelry stores in the mall, although I've never met anyone who actually has one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-engagement_ring
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2009/11/4 23:28
stanfordgal,

It seems like you missed something. There was a misunderstanding on OP's part and he believed couples rings were a part of Japanese tradition. He had no intention of buying her love. Probably yout mum has no idea about this side of current pop culture in Japan. Thus another misunderstanding.

reply to this thread