Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing Heavy Stuff To Japan 2009/11/3 02:40
I know when you go to Japan there is limit as to what you can bring. I believe you can bring two suitcases (not sure what the weight limit is) and then also bring one onto the plane with you as long as it meets the size and weight limits.

For those visiting Japan, they don't really have to worry about bringing a lot of stuff because they'll be home within a couple of weeks, but for those of us who are going to be living there for an extended period of time (in my case I will be teaching there) - I'm having a hard time decided what to bring in my suitcases.

My main concern is my laptop, printer, and speakers.

I'm guessing it's not a good idea to put these in my suitcases as they'll be tossed around. I could bring my laptop on the plane with me - it doesn't weigh very much at all. The printer and speakers do weigh a bit though.

Would I be better off just having someone ship them to me once I am there?

Shipping them nice and tight with lots of packing and overnight of course... Do not want those to get damaged! :(

Also, it would be a good idea to get a power adapter plug in advance, correct? Can I buy them online?
by Savyd  

bringing stuff to japan 2009/11/4 11:24
I believe you can bring two suitcases (not sure what the weight limit is) and then also bring one onto the plane with you as long as it meets the size and weight limits.

It depends on the airline and seat class you will be travelling on. Most allow 2 check-ins up to 50lbs/23kg each and 1 carry-on up to 22lbs/10 kg.

My main concern is my laptop, printer, and speakers.

I'm guessing it's not a good idea to put these in my suitcases as they'll be tossed around. I could bring my laptop on the plane with me - it doesn't weigh very much at all. The printer and speakers do weigh a bit though.

Definitely bring your laptop with you on the plane. Actually, because of its battery you will be required to have it with your carry-on items.

Would I be better off just having someone ship them to me once I am there?

I'd advise not bringing the the printer or speakers at all. Unless you have a travel printer (like one of the small canon travel printers), then it is likely not worth bringing. Printers are cheap in Japan (low end 3000 yen, and under 10,000 for all but the best ones) and it will likely cost you more to ship it than it is worth. Also, carrying it in your luggage will take up valuable space and weight that can be used for things not easily replaced in Japan. Also, what will you be doing in Japan? Most likely you will be able to have the majority of your printing needs done at work or school.

Also, what kind of speakers are you talking about? a set of computer speakers? If so you could bring them in your luggage, but again, unless they are particularly nice ones (by which I mean expensive ones), you may just want to consider buying new ones in Japan.

Shipping them nice and tight with lots of packing and overnight of course... Do not want those to get damaged! :(

Shipping will likely cost more than what they are worth. Have you even checked shipping prices, let alone overnight shipping charges? If you are even considering them then you should just bring an extra suitcase on the plane and pay the extra baggage charges. Even at about $200 yen per bag it comes out cheaper, faster, and safer than shipping your stuff.

Also, it would be a good idea to get a power adapter plug in advance, correct? Can I buy them online?

Your profile says that you live in the US, so you will not need a plug adapter for any of your stuff unless they have grounded 3 prong plugs on the ends. In that case I would head down to your local hardware shop and buy a handful of 3 to 2 prong adapters as they are quite a bit cheaper and easier to find in the US. I think I paid under a dollar each the last time I bought them in the US and around 300-500 yen when bought in Japan.

Anyway, just so you know where I'm coming from, I moved to Japan from the US a few years back and regularly fly home with maximum luggage. I've brought some weird, heavy, and awkward items in both directions, but that is a story for another day.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Don't pack electronics in your suitcase 2009/11/4 23:35
You don't want to pack electronics in your suitcase. If they are stolen, the airline will not reimburse you for your loss. I know someone who packed their camera in their suitcase and it was stolen and the airline refused to pay for it because it was an "electronic." If you pack anything else of value, make sure you have pictures and receipts for it just in case it is stolen.
by goagirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2009/11/5 06:35
After reading all of this I will just leave my printer home - especially because it is so bulky. Does not seem worth the hassle after the explanation of how much it'll take to get it there!

I will not put any electronics in my suitcases knowing it could get stolen and not recovered!

I forgot to mention that I also am bringing my camera (Canon Rebel XTi) along with my many camera lenses (some are small while other are rather... Large and bulky). So even if I have to pay extra, I should just bring that along with my laptop too?
by SavyD (guest) rate this post as useful

packing electronics 2009/11/5 09:26
I will not put any electronics in my suitcases knowing it could get stolen and not recovered!

I wouldn't worry too much about things being stolen from your bag unless the airport you will be travelling out of has a history of baggage handler theft. I've brought all kinds of expensive electronics in my checked in luggage with no problems. Just document everything if you are worried, and you may want to purchase travel insurance.

I forgot to mention that I also am bringing my camera (Canon Rebel XTi) along with my many camera lenses (some are small while other are rather... Large and bulky).

Definitely bring them with your carry-on. Cameras and lenses are too sensitive to be in checked in luggage. You should be able to bring them without having to pay extra as everything should easily fit within the 22lbs. carry-on suitcase limit.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread