Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

''sweet girlfriend'' meaning? 2009/12/16 09:54
After my last trip to Japan, I wrote an apology to a Japanese woman I had dinner with while I was there. I was afraid that I had been too forward with her. To the contrary, she replied no apology was required. She added ''I myself hope I am allowed to be your sweet girl friend in Japan.'' Does this have special meaning?
by Osay  

. 2009/12/16 11:22
Girl friend or girlfriend? Anyway, it seems like it was a cute joke to make you feel better.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

kawaii gaarufurendo 2009/12/16 12:09
I don't think it has any special meanings in terms of being "especially culturally Japanese." It just means what it says, which to me seems like you've got a date.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Additional info 2009/12/17 06:04
Thank you for your input. Would your answers change if I added that she is married and that the dinner was a business dinner with two other Japanese people in attendance (both men)? I was the only gaijin there. Her company and my company, both small, have an ongoing relationship.
by Osay rate this post as useful

Nothing to think about 2009/12/17 10:18
She replied politely acknowledging your mistake. Far-fetched notion believing there night-be-something,.. why not drop her a note or give her a call and invite her out,.. you will have your answer QUICKER. If you know she is married, don't even think about it,.. when there is plenty of single women in Japan.
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

. 2009/12/17 11:01
I stick to my answer. That's because I might say the same thing in that situation.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes 2009/12/17 18:47
Would your answers change if I added that she is married and that the dinner was a business dinner with two other Japanese people in attendance (both men)? I was the only gaijin there. Her company and my company, both small, have an ongoing relationship.

Then my answer will change to Ikuyo Kuruyo-san's, because indeed I would say the same thing in that situation, and I am a married woman who occasionally attends business dinners with a couple of other Japanese men in attendance.

In any case, in that situation it is safer to assume that it was a joke. If it wasn't, she will probably express that in another occasion. No need to rush.

I always had thought that Ikuyo Kuruyo-san's sense of humor was not limited to her name, but now I know for sure :)
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/12/18 02:55
Dear Uco-san and Kuruyo-san,

Thank you for your responses. I am not interested in engaging in a relationship with the woman in question -- I have to maintain a business relationship with her and her company, and such a situation would really complicate things. Also, I do not date married women. I don't want to ask her for "her intentions, or meaning" as that could be embarassing for both of us. That is why I sought help from Japan-Guide. With your information, now, I am not going to worry about how I deal with her and her company. Thank you.
by Osay rate this post as useful

reply to this thread