Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What sort of shoes should I wear? 2010/1/3 00:45
My husband and I are going to Japan at the end of August to beginning of September 2010.

I know we will have to take our shoes off at temples and in people's houses (though I doubt we will be going to anybody's house).

We are from Australia and are both used to wearing sandals or flip flops. Is it okay to wear flip flops or do we need to have socks on (sandals and socks = terrible look) to enter a temple?

I also worry because sometimes my feet look black and dirty, but it's the rubber from the flip flops. I don't want to look like I have dirty feet, so should I wear a different type of shoe? Can I wear a ballet flat without socks? (I really hate socks, but will happily wear them if necessary).

Any advice would be much appreciated.
by Sam (guest)  

... 2010/1/3 09:23
We are from Australia and are both used to wearing sandals or flip flops. Is it okay to wear flip flops or do we need to have socks on (sandals and socks = terrible look) to enter a temple?

If you prefer not to wear socks, I recommend to bring some socks and wear them only whenever you have to take off your shoes. It is not considered very good manner to use slippers with your bare feet or to walk around barefoot.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/1/3 11:02
Thanks for the info. I will make sure I bring some socks in my handbag, whenever I go out.
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

walking 2010/1/3 15:50
Usually in Japan you spend a LOT of the day walking: walking, walking, walking........
I would recommend really comfy shoes in which to walk..crocs, elastic lace track shoes etc and you will want some socks to soak up the sweat...we had 2 pairs of spare socks in a back pack every day, and wore socks all the time..we reckon we walked upwards of 10+ klms every day...
by fmj rate this post as useful

Get new flip flops 2010/1/3 19:02
Sam, I recommend that you buy thongs that don't turn your feet black before coming to Japan, even a cheap pair will do, and they don't all lose their colour onto your feet. There aren't a large number of temples which you can go inside anyway, incidentally.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks again 2010/1/3 19:19
Thanks again for the advice. I really wanted to wear my Fit Flops but the rubber really does rub off and I look like I've got black feet. I might buy a white pair and test them out before I come to Japan, otherwise I might get some Rockports or MBT's or something else that is comfortable.
by Sam (guest) rate this post as useful

don't care for socks, either 2010/1/7 02:50
Carry a pair of "Peds" (foot liner-type socks) with you. I also do not care to wear socks. i grew up in a tropical climate and only "strangers" wore socks with sandals (opposite of Japan, I guess). As suggested, perhaps, purchase another pair of flip-flops? The rubber should not rub off on your skin.

Other tourist sites like castles also require wearing socks. Have a fun trip!

by hadashi is best (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/1/7 11:20
Get odoreaters.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

not with socks... 2010/1/7 11:47
hadashi is best, people do not usually wear sandals/flip flops with socks in Japan- not sure where you got that idea?
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

how about sports sandals and ankle wraps 2011/1/28 18:43
I have the same question too. i will be wearing one of those sports sandals and ankle wraps.. like those below:

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&categoryID=788&productID=4...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nike_Ankle_Wrap/descpageMANIKE-NAWR.ht...

will it be too inappropriate to wear these when visiting temples?

FYI i'll be wearing knee length shorts too.

All advise is appreciated. thanks.
by Tser (guest) rate this post as useful

Sandles and socks, common combination 2011/1/28 19:28
Flip flops may not be suitable for socks without divided toes, but it is indeed a fad in Japan to wear socks with sandles. See?
http://www.google.co.jp/images?q=%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%AB%...

And Tser, I don't think your choice would cause any problems either.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

shoes 2011/1/29 07:15
The only times I wear flip-flops is when going to the beach..and I take the bus for most of the distance. I find them very uncomfortable when walking for hours, something that you will do in Japan.
Not to mention that in buses, crowded streets etc. people often walk on your toes...OUCH!!!
Let's face it flip flops don't look good in a town, no matter what fashionistas say..

As for sandals with socks...it depends on the style of the sandals and where one is going..
I have worn dressy sandals with socks because I knew I would be going to a restaurant etc. and also just to annoy whoever think it is a fashion faux-pas (pun intended)

In Japan I often wore sneakers without laces (they have elastic panels on each side so there are easy to take on/off). .
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread