Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

will Japanese TV work in Australia 2010/1/25 13:23
I've checked but can't find the answer, and was wondering if my Japanese TV which I have will work in Australia. I understand that maybe it won't work directly (ie. antenna input) but would it work for example if I hooked up cable TV (ie Foxtel) and therefore it would just be basically a monitor?
by Paul (guest)  

input-output 2010/1/26 09:31
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

japanese tv 2010/1/26 10:53
I understand that maybe it won't work directly (ie. antenna input) but would it work for example if I hooked up cable TV (ie Foxtel) and therefore it would just be basically a monitor?

You've got it right. Over the air and direct cable input may not work, but as long the signal runs through a cable box (i.e. Foxtel) before going to the tv then you should be fine.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

power 2010/1/26 10:58
Also, don't forget about power. You'll need a 240-100v stepdown transformer or you'll burn out the tv.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/1/27 14:02
Thank you all for your input. I think it'll be ok to bring the TV back to Australia and it should work your ok based on advice and reviewing the Foxtel guide. I'll have to obviously get a transformer for the power, which I'll need anyway for other appliances I'm thinking of bringing back.
If there is anyone who has actually done it (ie set up a Japanese purchased TV successfully) back in Australia I'd really be interested to hear.
by Somewhat relieved (guest) rate this post as useful

My experience 2010/1/28 08:53
Many years ago, I took my Sony TV from US(120V 60Hz NTSC system) when my co. sent my family to Australia. It smoked instantly as soon as I plug in using the traveler voltage converter. I had it repaired and used a regular heavy transformer for NTSC video/cam tapes only, not regular broadcasting. We had no cable in Albury/Wodonga, then and only 3 channels but we bought a tv there.
Japanese Tv is also NTSC system.
In Australia you need the PAL system TV or the PAL to NTSC system converter to work.
Read this and other google sites:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-ntsc-and-pal.ht...
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/1/29 20:21
If it means anything, I am actually in a reverse position as you.

I have an Australian television given to me in a saynonora sale, the TV uses a transformer, because the direct input for cable is different, I just run the cable through a VCR/DVD player and connect it to the TV using standard (RCA , red, white, yellow) cables, and it works fine.

So as long as you are:
1. Using a transformer
2. Using a cable box/dvd player vcr from Austrailia to run the signal you should be ok.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread