Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to file tax return? 2010/1/29 15:34
Until September of last year I lived in one of Tokyo's wards, but then moved to one of the cities further out. I have been wondering where I should file my tax return this year- in the tax office in my old ward, or the one in my new city?

I just got the papers for the tax return from the tax office in my old ward, but because it was redirected from my previous address it seems that even though I have registered my move with the new city office, that tax office doesn't know that I have moved. Before I waste a trip to the tax office where I used to live, does anyone know whether I should file in the tax office nearest to my new place or old place in this situation?

I could phone them I know, but I have quite a phobia of making phone calls about unfamiliar topics in Japanese so I am too chicken...
by Sira (guest)  

At the tax office of your new address 2010/1/29 22:11
Hi! You should file your tax forms to the tax office that is in charge of the district where you are registered when you files them, that is, your new address. Local taxes are imposed for the district you lived on January 1st, 2010 (you must specify it in the forms). After all, each tax office is just a branch of National Tax Agency, and you can hardly escape the network.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/29 23:52
You need to inform the tax office in addition to the report you made with alien registration that you've moved. They don't share the information that you've moved.
You should be filing the tax where you are now, and at the the top of the tax return form, there is a column that asks for your address as of Jan 1 of 2010, as against the one as of Jan. 1 of 2009 as well.
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/1/31 08:07
Thanks for the information, AK and Guest, I appreciate it
(^-^)
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread