Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Costs in Nagoya 2010/2/1 03:46
I already saw a similar question about living in Osaka so this what I want to ask is if living costs (without accomodation and internet as it's already known to me) in Nagoya will be much different?
I'm going to Japan in March for studies and my parents want to know how expensive this students exchange is going to be, so I would be grateful for any piece of information.
I was told that 30 000 yens per month for food should be enough.I know it's hard to tell the amount needed when you don't know the eating habits of the person but even the approximate sum will do.
I will have a bike there so I won't need to include transport costs into the expenses.I'm guessing that around 50 000 yens per month should be enough?
by Misha (guest)  

a bit more 2010/2/1 11:41
Hi, Misha. I am from Nagoya and have been living here for 5 years so far. Even if you are going to be en exchange student and live in hostel provided by your university 50,000 yen would not be enough since for instance Nagoya university hostel is 13,000 yen per month exclusive of water/gas/electricity/internet expenses.

You would have to pay for the above mentioned at least 10, 000 - 15,000 (depending on your consumption), which makes the cost of your hostel at least 23,000 yen + 30,000 yen on food and of course, + 20,000 yen on going out/clothes/unexpected expenses. I believe the minimum amount we are looking at is around 80,000 yen.

by cookie (guest) rate this post as useful

sorry... 2010/2/1 11:48
Oh, sorry. I have overlooked your mail. 50, 000 yen without taking into consideration accommodation and other related to it bills, would be enough. Just if you wish to have a cell phone, I believe you would need some 5000-7000 yen more.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot 2010/2/1 20:43
Thank you a lot for your answer.
I will try to cut expenses as much as it will be possible but the amount of 50 000 yens a month doesn't sound bad so far.
by Misha (guest) rate this post as useful

cell phone 2010/2/2 11:12
Btw, regards the cell phone. Since you are going to be a student (an exchange student I assume), you can go for AU (one of cell phone providers in Japan). They have special discounted plans for students.

Good luck! Enjoy your stay in Nagoya!

AU mobile 2010/2/2 20:04
I guess that you were not talking about pre-paid phone. I think my stay won't be long enough (less than a year) to conclude any agreement with any mobile provider.

1 year visa 2010/2/3 09:29
If I remember correctly, you visa would be 1 year student visa (the shortest possible is one year).

Hence, you would be able to get a cell phone from any provider.

mobile 2010/2/3 10:30
But don't they demand to sign an agreement for at least a year?

not a must 2010/2/3 11:01
It`s not a must. In any way, you can always cancel your contract by paying a cancellation fee.

prepaid phone 2010/2/3 11:05
But don't they demand to sign an agreement for at least a year?

Yes, to get discounted handsets you will need to sign a contract. The service agreement is typically for 2 years. Optionally you can get a plan without a contract if you purchase the handset outright, but the handsets tend to be expensive.

If I remember correctly, you visa would be 1 year student visa (the shortest possible is one year).

Hence, you would be able to get a cell phone from any provider.

Some service providers require that you have up to 26 months left on your visa before they will allow you to purchase a discounted phone on a 2 year contract. Again, you would have the option to purchase the handset outright and go contractless, but this can be extremely expensive especially for a short term stay.

A prepaid phone is probably the cheapest method available to you, especially if you stay less than a year. The handsets start at 5000 yen and you can expect to spent 3000 yen a month for credit.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

more details 2010/2/3 14:57
When I came to Japan as 1-year exchange student I just went straight to AU and got myself a phone + contract. Of course, I did not go for a fancy phone model, but for the one they have offered to me for 0 yen, thus there is no need to pay more for prepaid phone. Btw, my month bill for discounted plan was around 3000 yen back that time.

changes 2010/2/3 15:32
The cell phone industry's billing has changed pretty drastically in the last few years though, and now carriers are subsidizing handsets less, but charge less for monthly service, and a 2 year contract is pretty much standard. Also as mentioned, they now offer no contract plans if you buy an unsubsidized phone at the start of service, but the handsets run in the 10000's of yen. And after checking around a few stores it seems that the 0 yen or cheap handsets come tied to 26 month contracts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread