Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drivers License conversion: 3 month stay 2010/3/2 11:58
Dear All,
I have a query regarding conversion of my foreign drivers license to Japanese one, I understand that I need to stay for 3 months in the issuing country after the license was issued. The problem is my drivers license was issues on 29-Apr-2006 and I came to Japan on 28-July-2006 (My passport has exit stamp on 27-July-2006 from the issuing country), Will this qualify for a 3 months stay?

Also subsequently every year i visit issuing country and spend about 3 weeks holiday there driving would those days count?

Just wanted to take opinion of some expert before i go to the test centre (mine would be Futamatagawa in Kanagawa).

cheers,
KB
by KB (guest)  

Not looking good 2010/3/2 15:38
As I recall, you need to have had your license for 3 years. At least that's what they insist on at Futamatagawa in Kanagawa.

Some friends of mine even had to prove they had lived in Australia for the previous 3 years before coming to Japan, by providing the current and ALL of their previous passports!!!! (I have no idea why!!)

By the way, which country are you from? If from Australia, they will not accept just your current license, as it doesn't have date of issue on it!!!! You need a letter stating the issue date of your original license (in your case, it's your current one)
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

drivers license 2010/3/2 17:44
The problem is my drivers license was issues on 29-Apr-2006 and I came to Japan on 28-July-2006 (My passport has exit stamp on 27-July-2006 from the issuing country), Will this qualify for a 3 months stay?

I'm am not positive how they calculate the days. If its by month then you will probably be out of luck. It may be that they count days in which case you may just make just qualify with 90 days.

Also subsequently every year i visit issuing country and spend about 3 weeks holiday there driving would those days count?

No.

You say that your current license was issued April 29, 2006. Was this a renewal, or the first time you got your license? If its a renewal then you need to contact the agency that issued your license and get proof of your original issue date (according to Sandy you may have to do this anyway), and you will have no trouble making the minimum 3 months. However, if this is your original issue date, then its still up in the air. Maybe someone can find the relevant law and see exactly how the minimum is counted.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread