Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Plan for (to be) English teacher? 2010/3/8 09:58
I know this question has been asked a million times.
I've done a bit of reading, but I get lost because things change between years. SO i'll give you my background and hopefully you will be able to tell me what the best plan of action is for me.

I'm turning 18 soon and am going to college to study to become a teacher. The college I'm going to has a bachelor degree in English Teacher Education. Is that all I need?
I figure I'll be done with that hopefully by in about 4 years. In the mean time I'll continue studying Japanese. I've studied on and off for the past year so I know some of the basics.

So then after I graduate where do I go from there?
Do I find a Job at home or can I go straight to teaching there?
I understand it's difficult to get a Job as a teacher in Japan. What would put me above other candidates?
Will being a woman be any kind of disadvantage?

I'm sorry if all this info was just a google away but any advice and insight is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Ariel
by Kitsuneakitsune  

Teaching 2010/3/8 15:12
It would be to your advantage to use programs such as the J.E.T. program which allows native English speakers to work as teachers' assistants in various areas of Japan.

By doing so, you can establish a credible reputation in certain circles, as well as get excellent job experience.

Be sure to get connected with other teachers, as they can be what gets you into that interview later on.
by bergeron rate this post as useful

teaching 2010/3/9 13:37
Being a woman is in no way a disadvantage- in fact it can be an advantage, as for teaching small children women are often preferred here.

To put yourself above other candidates you would need one or more of: actual ESL teaching experience, a teaching qualification from your home country (i.e. to teach high school etc), an MA in TESOL, or a CELTA qualification (online TESL courses with no practical component are seen as meaningless).

Have a look at sites like the Japan forum of www.eslcafe.com for lots of info about teaching in Japan, as well as doing a search on this site- it's a common topic.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread