Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name change on Japanese passport 2010/3/10 04:00
My wife (a Japanese citizen) and I got married here in the US in January, and we are now waiting for her green card. We'd like to change the name on her passport so that it has her new last name.

Is that something she can do here in the US? Where do we go to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
by Bill Smith (guest)  

. 2010/3/10 09:24
She has to do it in person at the nearest Japanese Embassy. We just did this.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/10 10:07
She has two options for adding your name to her passport. She can legally change her Japanese name to your name (at the Japanese consulate). This has to be done within 6 months after marriage. I'm assuming that she didn't do this already. Her name will then be, for example, Michiko Smith in her passport.

Her other option is to keep her Japanese name unchanged and add your name in parentheses in her passport; for example, Michiko Hatoyama (Smith). She can still use Michiko Smith as her name in America but will have to use Hatoyama in Japan.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

embassy or consulate 2010/3/10 10:30
There is usually only one embassy in each country, typically in the capital city. If you don't live near your capital look for your nearest Japanese consulate. These are the places that provide services for nationals of that country, such as passport renewals.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/10 12:16
Her other option is to keep her Japanese name unchanged and add your name in parentheses in her passport; for example, Michiko Hatoyama (Smith). She can still use Michiko Smith as her name in America but will have to use Hatoyama in Japan.

That's what I did. I assume she filed your marriage to Japanese consulate/embassy. She should check out their website and ask any questions to them. They are there to help.
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Need help also with name change 2010/7/22 08:49
Hi guys,

I'm having a similar situation but a little more time-sensitive.

My wife's passport has her name as: Shoko Shimizu.

After we got married, she decided to use: Shoko Shimizu-Smith.

I just bought an international plane ticket last night for her to go back to Japan using: Shoko Shimizu-Smith.

I just realized that TSA, Customs, Immigration, the airline, etc. are going to give her a hard-time since her name on her Japanese passport is different than her boarding ticket.

One solution to this problem is to change the name on her Japanese passport to: Shoko Shimizu (Smith).

We live in NYC and she has two (2) months before her scheduled flight. We are afraid that two (2) months is not enough time for the Japanese consulate to issue her a new Japanese passport with the name change.

Do you guys think two (2) months is sufficient time for the Japanese consulate to issue her a new Japanese passport with the name change?

Thanks.
by henry777 (guest) rate this post as useful

Should be 2010/7/22 09:34
It should be. My wife got hers done in about a week or so. You should phone the embassy/consulate and confirm with them.
by Smoke (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/22 10:15
As far as I know, the name on the boarding ticket and the one in your passport must be the same. I heard marriage certificate can be used as a proof in a pinch. You should call the air company to ask what options you have. As for changin her last name, you should ask Japanese embassy directly.

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/j/html/passport/teisei.htm
by Ikuyo Kuruyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Consulate workers are helpful 2010/7/23 08:38
Have your wife visit the Consulate along with 2 passport photos, the marriage certificate, money, and her passport. She should explain the exigent need (about the airline ticket) to the Consulate worker. I did same and new 10 yrs passport in less than a week.
by jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread