Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy Kimono second hand / used 2010/3/15 13:06
Hi there!

I already found a nice listing of stores here (http://www.tsukuru.jp/kimono_get.htm#リサイクル着物ショップ), but this is not that much. I'm sure there are more stores which sell used kimonos.

I'm looking for the flashier ones, like worn for Furisode or else. So I would like to have a nice print on it. Since they are expensive I heard of really cheap so to say "used sotres". Of course they are sold and resold several times, but... I can't afford a new one.

If anybody knows one (or several) nice shops where I can buy a furisode-like kimono for a reasonable price I would aprreaicate it if you tell me :)
by shunima  

eBay 2010/3/15 20:36
If you don't mind buying online, eBay is excellent - I bought all my kimono and haori on eBay.
by Sari (guest) rate this post as useful

prefer store 2010/3/17 17:29
Since I am in Japan now for still quite a time I'm looking for a place where these kimonos are sold to check myself (eg size, color and stuff) :)

If there are any ppl who know some places in and around Tokyo, please tell me.
by shunima rate this post as useful

In Tokyo? 2010/3/18 15:31
If you are in Tokyo we saw some beautiful kimonos at the Togo Shrine market: 1st Sunday of the month
by fmj rate this post as useful

used kimono 2010/3/21 02:41
Many vendors bring used kimono to shrine sales & antique markets, but you have to be very careful & inspect them thoroughly; often they bring items with stains or damage, that people use for crafts & other purposes, not wearing.
In Tokyo, the Oriental bazaar has a good selection of used kimono; they seem pricey to me but they are in good condition.
There is often a guy in Omotesando, on weekends when the weather is nice, with used kimono and obi at an outdoor stand at the first intersection away from the Meiji Shrine - I think across from Banana Republic.
There is a chain of stores called Tansu-ya, http://tansuya.jp/ that have used items...if you can get on their mailing list, you can learn about their sales - I think they are held a few times a year and I believe you need your 'invitation' to go. I got one from a Japanese friend some years ago and the sale was very nice. Not cheap, but practically new items.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks! 2010/3/27 13:18
thank you, guys!

I will check these stores/markets now as soon as possible :)))

by shunima rate this post as useful

reply to this thread